Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading from a 660ti

Foxlin Lyre

Dear all, 
So I recently built a pc and was grateful to get a 660ti for 30 USD but would really like to update it to something a little better.
As Black Friday is coming I thought this would be the right time to invest a little in something new. My budget is pretty low and therefor it seemed like a good idea to ask you nice people for advice.
Also, (yes this is out of topic) I need a better CPU cooler than the wraith that comes with my Ryzen 5, any ideas there ?

Thank you for reading :)

Foxlin

what is your budget exactly? "pretty low" varies a bit xD 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

1050ti. anything lower is just not worth it. get a noctua d15 cooler if it fits your case. d15 is the best short term and long term investment by far.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

3 minutes ago, Srnewbee said:

1050ti. anything lower is just not worth it. get a noctua d15 cooler if it fits your case. d15 is the best short term and long term investment by far.

RX 550 might be. Also a NH-D15 is almost $90 i think and that doesn’t really help unless he’s doing serious overclocking which I doubt.

The noctua is too big I think, I was originally looking at the single fan water blocks from Corsair.
As for the 1050ti, do you know of any good offers to get one, it's a little pricy for me at the base price.

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

RX 550 might be. Also a NH-D15 is almost $90 i think and that doesn’t really help unless he’s doing serious overclocking which I doubt.

no overclocking will be done, I'm far too poor to replace any hardware I might break.
Aand RX550, I've never really tried AMD graphics, are they good?

1 minute ago, Foxlin Lyre said:

no overclocking will be done, I'm far too poor to replace any hardware I might break.
Aand RX550, I've never really tried AMD graphics, are they good?

Ehhh well it depends. An RX550 is similar to a GT 1030 so if you don’t mind that kind of performance and if it’s cheaper where you’re from then yeah. Generally the RX 500 series cards consume more power than the GTX 10 series cards, but if they’re cheaper then it might be a better choice.

Also, usually you can stick to a rule of thumb that

RX 550 = GT 1030

RX 560 = GTX 1050

RX 570 > GTX 1050Ti

RX 580 4GB > GTX 1060 3GB

RX 580 8GB = GTX 1060 6GB

Waou thanks that's a good compilation !
I'm from EU but work/live in DE, USA so I have no sales tax and access to most techshops (and amazon).
I think I might look at the 560 - 570 - 580 range rather, I do stream and even if I could use one GPU for streaming and one for gaming it would be good to be future proof a little.

I would personally go with AMD because of freesync. Many monitors come with freesync. Gsync ones are way too expensive. Basically, freesync makes machines that hit 45~60 fps seem like constant 60fps. So 1) get an AMD gfx  and 2) get a freesync monitor in the future.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the "save up for a good card" option.
I mean otherwise I can get a Elgato stream box to do the streaming part and that way the GPU will be fin for a while.
Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:28 AM, Foxlin Lyre said:

Dear all, 
So I recently built a pc and was grateful to get a 660ti for 30 USD but would really like to update it to something a little better.
As Black Friday is coming I thought this would be the right time to invest a little in something new. My budget is pretty low and therefor it seemed like a good idea to ask you nice people for advice.
Also, (yes this is out of topic) I need a better CPU cooler than the wraith that comes with my Ryzen 5, any ideas there ?

Thank you for reading :)

Foxlin

660ti is around 15% slower than 1050 as far as I'm aware. As such I wouldn't really bother getting anything slower than say an RX 570 or 1060 3gb. 1050ti would only be about 40-60% faster, and RX 560/GTX 1050 would only be about 15% faster. Anything below that would be slower than your 660ti.

RX 570 and GTX 1060 3gb however would be a solid 80-100% faster than your current 660ti so that would be a very solid upgrade. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo