Best ITX GPU?

Hi all,

I'm building in a very limiting case that demands I use a GPU shorter than 180mm. I've also got a PSU limitation in that the largest capacity power supply I can get in my form factor is a 500w one (Flex ATX). As for my CPU, I'm opting for the R5 2600.

All that said, I am looking at the MSI GTX 1070 (right now hovering at $400.00), the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini ITX ($550.00 and up if you can find it) or maybe trying to wait for the MSI RTX 2070 mini ITX (no price announced and no date of launch as of yet).

The thing is, I don't have a different GPU to slot into my new system in the meantime, and I've already purchased everything else that I need to build the computer. I'm a little worried about not being able to test everything before the return window closes, but that 2070 kinda looks tempting, since people are saying that it will launch somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.00. THAT being said, we don't know if it will be plagued by overheating due to its small size.

On a final note, I'm assuming that a RTX 2070 does not have the power to do any kind of raytracing in any real sense, and that doesn't bother me. I just want a good GPU that's gonna last for a while without falling behind the times.

Thanks in advance, folks.

12 minutes ago, GrogStache said:

Hi all,

I'm building in a very limiting case that demands I use a GPU shorter than 180mm. I've also got a PSU limitation in that the largest capacity power supply I can get in my form factor is a 500w one (Flex ATX). As for my CPU, I'm opting for the R5 2600.

All that said, I am looking at the MSI GTX 1070 (right now hovering at $400.00), the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini ITX ($550.00 and up if you can find it) or maybe trying to wait for the MSI RTX 2070 mini ITX (no price announced and no date of launch as of yet).

The thing is, I don't have a different GPU to slot into my new system in the meantime, and I've already purchased everything else that I need to build the computer. I'm a little worried about not being able to test everything before the return window closes, but that 2070 kinda looks tempting, since people are saying that it will launch somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.00. THAT being said, we don't know if it will be plagued by overheating due to its small size.

On a final note, I'm assuming that a RTX 2070 does not have the power to do any kind of raytracing in any real sense, and that doesn't bother me. I just want a good GPU that's gonna last for a while without falling behind the times.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Your assumption is correct,rtx 2080ti has hard time with ray tracing.2070 and 1080 are basically the same performance wise.I wouldn't bother with waiting for 2070,1080 mini will do job and wont be potentially plagued by bugs as some of the new releases.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

22 minutes ago, GrogStache said:

The thing is, I don't have a different GPU to slot into my new system in the meantime, and I've already purchased everything else that I need to build the computer. I'm a little worried about not being able to test everything before the return window closes.

Jump on ebay /Craigslist and find a cheap old gpu for <$10 then you can test it sooner.

As for raytracing. So far it looks like it's pointless. You get far fewer fps with raytracing compared to rasterisation for slightly better visuals. 

I second the 1080 mini idea. 

7 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

Jump on ebay /Craigslist and find a cheap old gpu for <$10

That's a solid idea. Thanks for that. Are there any limitations I should be aware of with the older cards? For instance, is there any card out there that might not even be compatible with an asRock ITX b450 motherboard?

41 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

what about the zotac mini cards?

Unfortunately, even those are too long for the spot I've got allocated to the GPU. I agree that cards that size are going to handle heat better and the 1080 ti is a monster. I just can't find the room for it, unfortunately.

damn that's a small form factor I have a card that small my EVGA 1050 ti single fan is a tiny card like that but its not a option for the performance you want.

3 hours ago, GrogStache said:

That's a solid idea. Thanks for that. Are there any limitations I should be aware of with the older cards? For instance, is there any card out there that might not even be compatible with an asRock ITX b450 motherboard?

Not really, basically any card should work. Getting drivers would be the main issue for older cards.

3 hours ago, GrogStache said:

The 1070 will be solid for 1080p for a few more years. A 1080 would as well, and if the right one goes on sale this Friday (or tonight at 3 AM Eastern) for $400 or so, I'm in.

Also, what the hell case are you using that you have to use a Flex-ATX PSU? I ask only because the only time I've ever needed one was when I retrofitted an HP Slimline s3200n case into Banzai.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Also, what the hell case are you using that you have to use a Flex-ATX PSU? I ask only because the only time I've ever needed one was when I retrofitted an HP Slimline s3200n case into Banzai.

I'm modding a 1995 Millennium Falcon toy into a PC case. It's basically a scratch build where I'm putting square pegs into a round hole. i didn't mention it since it wasn't the focus of the question at hand, but I'm considering doing a build log if people are interested/it seems fun.

4 hours ago, jonrosalia said:

damn that's a small form factor I have a card that small my EVGA 1050 ti single fan is a tiny card like that but its not a option for the performance you want.

Yeah, it's a pretty precise form factor to have to deal with, but I did this to myself, so that's the way the cookie crumbles. At least there are a few performance cards in such a small form factor. Otherwise, I'd have to look at this build as a media streaming box or something, rather than my gaming/work daily driver. That'd take the fun out of it.

12 minutes ago, GrogStache said:

I'm modding a 1995 Millennium Falcon toy into a PC case. It's basically a scratch build where I'm putting square pegs into a round hole. i didn't mention it since it wasn't the focus of the question at hand, but I'm considering doing a build log if people are interested/it seems fun.

Please do if time permits. That sounds awesome.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm having trouble not pulling the trigger on the MSI GTX 1070 ITX Aero deal that's going on over at B&H right now. it's just $314 with a $20 rebate.

I'd had my heart set on the RTX 2070 itx from either MSI or Gigabyte, which are up on their respective sites now (links provided for interest). I bet those will be at $550 when they release though, so do their benefits (Ray Tracing is not my top priority) outweigh that savings on a tried and tested 1070 model?