HELP: can't open .pst files on Mac

Cade Bane

I need help. My dad was laid off a few years ago from Cisco Systems. He had an ibm laptop that he used for work. When he was laid off, he had to send it back. Before he did, he made sure to keep valuable files and put them on a seagate 1tb external drive. The files were related to Eudora, a email application he used for work. These are saved on the drive as .pst files. When I try to open them, I'm running macOS Mojave, they try to open in garage band but can't. I need a way to open these files because he wants to see them. I tried to import them into Outlook, they loaded on and I clicked finish. I click on the Eudora thing in the sidebar and there is nothing inside. Do I need to open them in Outlook on a windows machine, I have an old MacBook Air with windows through bootcamp. Should I install outlook on there and import. Is that the wrong approach. I really need help and this is the only place I knew to ask for help. If Eudora and .pst files ring a bell, please respond to this thread. Thank you 

I've not heard Eudora in years! 

From what I remember, although they both use the .PST file extension the two formats are not the same, so you can't just import a Eudora PST into outlook. You first have to convert it. 

I used to use a program to do it, but cannot remember the name of it at all, but a quick google reveals quite a few different options available...all are paid apps, but not very expensive and if it is important then would be worth getting.

The other option is to simply download Eudora and import the PST directly, AFAICG (As far as I can google) it's a free download, so may be a better option...although I have no idea if they are official apps so please take care when downloading and installing them if you do (use a VM if you can).