TN vs VA vs IPS

Hello,

From what I researched, TN is the worst panel in terms of viewing, but the best response times. While IPS is best for viewing, but comes at the cost of response time. VA is somewhere in between. But the MSI MAG24C and G24C is advertising a 1ms response time on a VA panel. Would the monitor actually be 1ms response, or is it impossible to get that low a response time on a VA panel.

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

So what's your question?

Oh sorry. My question is would the monitor actually be 1ms response, or would it simply be simulating 1ms response.

VA panels are better known for their excellent contrast. The viewing angles aren't as great as what you usually get on an IPS panel, but from my experience, the difference isn't nearly as pronounced as with TN panels. As for the response time, while IPS and VA are inferior to TN (with VA being a tad better), you can get very responsive IPS or VA panels if you're willing to spend a lot. They actually exist, so MSI may well be selling a VA panel with a low response time. With that said, it could still be achieved with some dirty overdrive and leave you with ugly artifacts. Read some reviews if you can find them.

1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

VA panels are better known for their excellent contrast. The viewing angles aren't as great as what you usually get on an IPS panel, but from my experience, the difference isn't nearly as pronounced as with TN panels. As for the response time, while IPS and VA are inferior to TN (with VA being a tad better), you can get very responsive IPS or VA panels if you're willing to spend a lot. They actually exist, so MSI may well be selling a VA panel with a low response time. With that said, it could still be achieved with some dirty overdrive and leave you with ugly artifacts. Read some reviews if you can find them.

Thanks. The monitor seems like a good one. It's about $15 more than the other monitor I was considering, but that monitor is a TN panel. Having a 1ms response is important to me since I play a lot of fps, but I also play other types of games and watch a lot of vids on it so a better viewing experience would be nice too. If you know or have any recommendations that would be great. Thanks

7 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

Oh sorry. My question is would the monitor actually be 1ms response, or would it simply be simulating 1ms response.

Response time is basically a meaningless metric. Most people confuse it with latency. Take a look at the FAQ in this thread:

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440