Avoiding 4K Upscaling

MarbleHornets

I've recently was able to get a new 4K TV (TCL 49S405, I know, not the best but not the worst, plus at $225 new from store, hard deal to pass up on my budget) which I plan on hooking up to currently system, but in the near future I plan on upgrading my current Xbox One to a One X. My current loop is running from my Xbox to my Pioneer VSX-820-K to my TV, but the only problem is that my receiver is only rated at 1080p, is there a way I can bypass it to avoid having my TV upscale my input from receiver using HDMI? And if I have to change to an optical output, what would be the drawbacks running my 5.1 system?

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

That's an awesome tv at an awesome price.

You can just hook it directly into tv. You will lose ARC volume control if you have that currently, but optical from HDMI shouldn't sound too much different, if at all. As long as you're happy with volume control having a separate remote, then just go direct into tv. You can get into new 4k receivers for very low cost this time in the season. I've been finding a lot of Pioneer Elite 103's, 303's open box for under $300. You can catch crazy deals right now. But honestly, I would play with it on the receiver and the tv and see if you notice a difference.

Be happy with your purchase man! Great budget tv. Amazing actually.

14 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

That's an awesome tv at an awesome price.

You can just hook it directly into tv. You will lose ARC volume control if you have that currently, but optical from HDMI shouldn't sound too much different, if at all. As long as you're happy with volume control having a separate remote, then just go direct into tv. You can get into new 4k receivers for very low cost this time in the season. I've been finding a lot of Pioneer Elite 103's, 303's open box for under $300. You can catch crazy deals right now. But honestly, I would play with it on the receiver and the tv and see if you notice a difference.

Be happy with your purchase man! Great budget tv. Amazing actually.

Thanks man, I appreciate your advice a lot. I currently have to use two remotes anyways so I'll try skipping the receiver and using optical to it. Thanks for the advice.

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.