Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old PC for a Server

Dustin_S

I am thinking of upgrading my pc and was thinking of using my old motherboard and CPU for a server to host say games like ARK and use as a media server but was not sure if a i7-6700k and 32gb of ram would be able to handle it. Would this be a decent start for a little server?

It might get bogged down if you host a lot of servers because of the low core count, but it will be able to host a server or two quite well as thats a more than decent CPU for that task. Servers are typically high core count, high RAM, lower per-thread power (server computing is very multithreaded). You Will have high RAM and high per-thread power, which will somewhat make up for the lower core count, but still, if you host 6 servers on 4 cores, you can see where there might be some confliction.

Gaming - Ryzen 5600x | 32GB 3200mhz  Vega 56 | 1TB NVME | 500GB NVME

Home Server - Ryzen 2700x | 16GB 3400mhz |  RX 550 | 500GB NVME 11x2TB HDD 

I plan on only hosting one game at a time since il just be playing with a few friends do you think 16gb would also do well?

for games, should be fine it has a lot of ram and everything

in terms of a media server, i have a server from like 2008 on my rack that runs a media server

you dont need any power to run a media server using something like Plex

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

2 hours ago, Dustin_S said:

I plan on only hosting one game at a time since il just be playing with a few friends do you think 16gb would also do well?

That should still be fine. If you're just hosting one game at a time it will be more than enough. 

Make sure to @[name] people or to quote them otherwise we won't ever get notified you replied back, most people quote so others can easily follow the conversation and @ when you just want to mention someone and have them see it or something

On 11/17/2018 at 12:41 AM, suchamoneypit said:

Make sure to @[name] people or to quote them otherwise we won't ever get notified you replied back, most people quote so others can easily follow the conversation and @ when you just want to mention someone and have them see it or something

Thank you for the advice Ill remember that. If i do plan to use as an only pc i can just run normal windows correct ie windows 10

On 11/17/2018 at 4:32 AM, Dustin_S said:

I am thinking of upgrading my pc and was thinking of using my old motherboard and CPU for a server to host say games like ARK and use as a media server but was not sure if a i7-6700k and 32gb of ram would be able to handle it. Would this be a decent start for a little server?

Game servers normally want high CPU clock speed. Normal is 3Ghz+, and lot's of RAM. 32GB RAM will last quite a road. However this depends on how many players there are that will connect to the server.

13 hours ago, Dustin_S said:

Thank you for the advice Ill remember that. If i do plan to use as an only pc i can just run normal windows correct ie windows 10

Yes you could run regular windows 10

5 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Game servers normally want high CPU clock speed. Normal is 3Ghz+, and lot's of RAM. 32GB RAM will last quite a road. However this depends on how many players there are that will connect to the server.

I have a i7-6700k and it would only be like 3-5 people playing on the server.

2 hours ago, Dustin_S said:

I have a i7-6700k and it would only be like 3-5 people playing on the server.

Well then it wouldn't be any problem, my guess is that you'd be fine having upto like 30+ players aswell. (Probably quite a bit more than 30 aswell.)