How big will 4K desktops be? i.e. icon/text size, and things of that nature. Will such things become a problem as resolutions increase?

Hi guys,

I was wondering, how small will icons and text be on a 4K desktop? Particularly ones in the 27-30" size category.

I imagine it will be very small. To the point that it actually might be a problem in seeing or managing them. 

And, on that note, how will moving a mouse across it work? I know it can be difficult maneuvering across an eyefinity desktop without high DPI on your mouse. 

I ask all these questions, because I'm curious how upping resolution will directly affect these things.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I've been wondering the same thing...

I don't know if we CAN go past 4k without making the mouse cursor stay the same size. Same thing goes for text.

You can upscale and down scale all of that. But I think once 6k and 8k come around, that will be the limit for the displays, unless windows makes a special version for UHD displays.

You can upscale and down scale all of that. But I think once 6k and 8k come around, that will be the limit for the displays, unless windows makes a special version for UHD displays.

Imagine touchscreen on a 8k display.... Good luck pressing the correct thing.

Ctrl+Scroll Up/Down is your friend my dear @Vitalius

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Imagine touchscreen on a 8k display.... Good luck pressing the correct thing.

I'm sure they will scale up the icons and such so they aren't tiny.

you are aware that you can scale the icons and stuff up in windows right? no? well you are now :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I'm sure they will scale up the icons and such so they aren't tiny.

Then that defeats the purpose of 4k. Fitting more things on the screen! (And better picture quality)

Ctrl+Scroll Up/Down is your friend my dear @Vitalius

Oh. Wow. Never knew I could do that. 

Doesn't fix the mouse movement problem though. :(

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hopefully this means we'll see a lot more mice with higher DPIs?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Hopefully this means we'll see a lot more mice with higher DPIs?

I have a Logitech G600, running it at 2000dpi, and my monitor setup is almost 4k (2 1080p monitors on the bottom, with 1 1680x1050 at the top in the middle, triangle shape)

I have no problems with moving the mouse round, it translates to about 3-4 inches movement on my mouse pad.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You can add a tail (aka ghosted trail of where you are check out your control panel for the mouse) to your mouse to better identify where it is or follow it. You can also make the mouse pointer huge as can be, just like the icon's but through the control panel. I'm sure you've messed with the acceleration on the mouse, even with a regular mouse you can traverse a 30" monitor in 2560x1600 with no problems, 4K will be the same, but I'm sure you'll want a tail or a fat mouse to more easily identify it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You can add a tail (aka ghosted trail of where you are check out your control panel for the mouse) to your mouse to better identify where it is or follow it. You can also make the mouse pointer huge as can be, just like the icon's but through the control panel.

Yeah. Not sure how that affects travel distance, but it might.

† Christian Member †

Yeah. Not sure how that affects travel distance, but it might.

Like I mentioned above, travel distance will be fine, also to note, i don't have and mouse acceleration on either.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

It will essentially work the same as higher and higher resolutions work on mobiles, the icons stay the same 'physical' size as does the mouse but the detail in games and pictures open in 'pixel for pixel', the point for higher resolutions is more detail not to make things 'tiny'.