PLEASE HELP ME!!! URGENT

Just bought a used RX 580 8GB OC MSI ARMOR edition and it’s not functioning properly! So the card will boot up and then rev all the way to 100% and won’t Produce a display. Another thing is that when I try to boot the card will also boot up then just stop! I don’t know what’s going on, I’ve removed all Old GPU drivers, updated mobo BIOS and also tried different power supplies and different computers! can someone help me plz! Thanks

7 minutes ago, Hello_Please_Help said:

the card will boot up

what do you mean

then rev all the way to 100%

how are you seeing the gpu usage

when I try to boot the card will also boot up then just stop

again , what does this mean

You should probably not use a vague title like that, and this should be under troubleshooting

But anyway, here we go:

You bought used - that's not a bad thing in itself, what venue was it through and does the seller offer returns/replacements? This would be the way to go if you don't want to go through the hassle. If not, message the seller anyway and explain the problem. I'm sure they'll be glad to help if the venue is any good.

Troubleshooting methods:

Install it into a PC that you KNOW FOR CERTAIN works. 100%. download and install the drivers before you shut down and install the card for testing.

If you don't have a spare PC, revert your current one to the last state where it still worked fine. This might mean you have to remove RAM, GPU, etc. Do it, then download and install drivers, and reinstall to see if that helps.

If the above don't work, two options come to mind. These are the most common issues:

1. Incompatibilities:

Rare in 2018, but they can still happen somehow. It might be possible that your setup has a mix of parts that just don't go well together. Boot the system with bare minimum parts and install the gpu. If it throws errors, it's the gpu. If it works fine, something else is causing issues. Narrow it down by reinstalling components one by one and find the culprit.

This can also mean software is screwing up, so make sure that you clear your PC of any old drivers that relate to the gpu, including monitoring software, etc.

2. Hardware:

Maybe the cooler is misaligned, maybe the power plugs are loose, maybe the PCIe slot is bad, who knows? If you're willing to screw the warranties of your parts or if you have money to spare, I'd check the GPU meticulously, the PSU, Mobo, and any other components that interface with the card directly.

You might just have to swallow the fact that the GPU is dead, or that you just got some bad luck in the end.

Good Luck!

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

what do you mean

how are you seeing the gpu usage

again , what does this mean

Sorry, so the card will boot up as in turn on and the fans will start working, then either stop or get really really fast

15 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

You should probably not use a vague title like that, and this should be under troubleshooting

But anyway, here we go:

You bought used - that's not a bad thing in itself, what venue was it through and does the seller offer returns/replacements? This would be the way to go if you don't want to go through the hassle. If not, message the seller anyway and explain the problem. I'm sure they'll be glad to help if the venue is any good.

Troubleshooting methods:

Install it into a PC that you KNOW FOR CERTAIN works. 100%. download and install the drivers before you shut down and install the card for testing.

If you don't have a spare PC, revert your current one to the last state where it still worked fine. This might mean you have to remove RAM, GPU, etc. Do it, then download and install drivers, and reinstall to see if that helps.

If the above don't work, two options come to mind. These are the most common issues:

1. Incompatibilities:

Rare in 2018, but they can still happen somehow. It might be possible that your setup has a mix of parts that just don't go well together. Boot the system with bare minimum parts and install the gpu. If it throws errors, it's the gpu. If it works fine, something else is causing issues. Narrow it down by reinstalling components one by one and find the culprit.

This can also mean software is screwing up, so make sure that you clear your PC of any old drivers that relate to the gpu, including monitoring software, etc.

2. Hardware:

Maybe the cooler is misaligned, maybe the power plugs are loose, maybe the PCIe slot is bad, who knows? If you're willing to screw the warranties of your parts or if you have money to spare, I'd check the GPU meticulously, the PSU, Mobo, and any other components that interface with the card directly.

You might just have to swallow the fact that the GPU is dead, or that you just got some bad luck in the end.

Good Luck!

Hello! The GPU was bought using from a seller on letgo (selling app) and I’ve Trade a computer that I know for sureness works and still doesn’t! I have a RX 580 and a Ryzen 5 1600 so it should work because I’ve had an RX GPU and R GPU inside my PC before and it has worked

On 11/14/2018 at 8:56 PM, Hello_Please_Help said:

Hello! The GPU was bought using from a seller on letgo (selling app) and I’ve Trade a computer that I know for sureness works and still doesn’t! I have a RX 580 and a Ryzen 5 1600 so it should work because I’ve had an RX GPU and R GPU inside my PC before and it has worked

So... it's probably the gpu from the info you've given.

Not much I can say about it - either try to negotiate a return or fix it yourself. No guarantees either will work though, which is why I hope you paid with PayPal or some other means with buyer protection

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.