Which used CPU to buy

Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM of my W10 desktop PC. The computer is used for different tasks, but mostly programming (in PHP), browsing the web and some gaming once in a while. Since I have put together and fixed a couple of computers, I feel confident upgrading myself :)

In the past 2 years I didn't really follow the releases so closely, so I don't know which hardware is best etc.

Preferably I would like to buy used parts, due to the imo unreasonable pricing for new parts. As mentioned the daily workload consists of programming, browsing and gaming (I'd like to be able to play new AAA-Games :) ).

Does anyone have recommendations which used CPU (MB[Chipset]/Ram) to buy used, bang for the buck wise, but still performing decently for the workload mentioned above? I'm not planing on overclocking the CPU so I was thinking about something along the lines of an i7 4770/4790

I'm very greatful for any help and advice I can get!

Thanks!

TL;DR:

• Looking for used CPU/RAM/MB
  • Programming, Browsing AAA-Games
  • Bang for the buck
  • Opinion on 4th Gen i7 (4770, 4790)
  • No OC

4770 and 4790 are still to this day great cpus for gaming. If you can get one for a fair price, it's a solid choise. An overclocked 4770k is still used by many with up to a 1080 ti

Thanks so much for the quick response ?

Do you believe there is a great difference between the 4770 and the 4790? And is there any chipset you would recommend besides Z87 or Z97?

3 minutes ago, NiceRice said:

Thanks so much for the quick response ?

Do you believe there is a great difference between the 4770 and the 4790? And is there any chipset you would recommend besides Z87 or Z97?

Not really, the 4790 is just a little higher clocked

You could go with a b-series as you aren't going to overclock, but then you should watch out you get something strong enough to deliver power to that cpu. Z87 and z97 could be a better choise becouse of that

Also, quote or mention me next time

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Not really, the 4790 is just a little higher clocked

You could go with a b-series as you aren't going to overclock, but then you should watch out you get something strong enough to deliver power to that cpu. Z87 and z97 could be a better choise becouse of that

Also, quote or mention me next time

Thank you very much for your great help :)

3 minutes ago, NiceRice said:

Thank you very much for your great help :)

No problem. Send me what mobo you want, then I'll take a look at that too