PC build advice

Hello everyone,

I've decided it's about time to get a new PC, hopefully with thecrypto crash(ish) and the new RTX release, that the prices of hardware have dropped, that's the hope anyway.

I don't know if it maters, but I live in UK, so I suppose the prices may vary in different continents. With that said, here is what I am looking for:

• Performance only, no flashines, can be a bit noisy too.
  • Budget is about 800£ (1k USD, 1.35k Canadian, ATM)
  • Intel i5/i7
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • min 16BG RAM
  • 1 TB HDD + 500GB SSD

The above are pretty much the only things I am looking for. For everything esle I would liike your advice please? Even for the RAM, i've put 16 GB only, so I would like to see what suggestions for DDR3/4/Hz and so on.

I know I'm kind of asking to do 99% of the work, but I seem to get overwhelmed by the unimaginable ammount of choises for each part, and then when I start to combine things it all goes wanky...

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you

@Draiker

You dead set on intel? On a budget, AMD is usually a better option, ESPECIALLY right now, performance difference is like 13% on top end stuff while the price between them is like 100%.

@Draiker

With that said, a better GPU would be a good option if you are a gamer. Do you need PSU and Case and all that?

1 minute ago, HystericalII said:

This is what i put together https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ not what your looking for but im hoping someone can modify it to fit your needs

That link doesn't work friend.

Edit: Use the Permalink on the page.

Just now, Kiyometa said:

@Draiker

With that said, a better GPU would be a good option if you are a gamer. Do you need PSU and Case and all that?

^^^^

Just now, Kiyometa said:

That link doesn't work friend.

oof its the same parts you picked out just with a 8gb rx 580

Just now, HystericalII said:

oof its the same parts you picked out just with a 8gb rx 580

Lol, nice =D

What are you planning on using the system for? Should help us pick parts that will suit your needs. If you're planning on using it as a gaming PC, then what sort of games are you playing and what monitor resolution and refresh rate?
Do you need peripherals such as monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc?

14 minutes ago, Draiker said:

The above are pretty much the only things I am looking for. For everything esle I would liike your advice please? Even for the RAM, i've put 16 GB only, so I would like to see what suggestions for DDR3/4/Hz and so on.

16GB is sufficient for most people, though there are some use cases where more is required. For gaming and such 16GB is plenty.
DDR3 and DDR4 RAM aren't compatible with each other, so you will need either DDR3 or DDR4 depending on what the CPU & Motherboard supports. Modern CPUs will support DDR4, however if you're looking at the used market with i7 4790k and earlier you will need DDR3. I would typically recommend 3000MHz or higher RAM, though with Intel you can get by with 2666MHz or even 2400MHz if you're on a tight budget. AMD Ryzen CPUs rely more heavily on memory frequency, so 3000MHz or higher is highly recommended for Ryzen.

3 minutes ago, Kiyometa said:

@Draiker

Swap the 2400MHz RAM out for 3000MHz (about $5-$10 more expensive) if you're going with a Ryzen build. As above, Ryzen CPUs benefit from faster memory.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What are you planning on using the system for? Should help us pick parts that will suit your needs. If you're planning on using it as a gaming PC, then what sort of games are you playing and what monitor resolution and refresh rate?
Do you need peripherals such as monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc?

16GB is sufficient for most people, though there are some use cases where more is required. For gaming and such 16GB is plenty.
DDR3 and DDR4 RAM aren't compatible with each other, so you will need either DDR3 or DDR4 depending on what the CPU & Motherboard supports. Modern CPUs will support DDR4, however if you're looking at the used market with i7 4790k and earlier you will need DDR3. I would typically recommend 3000MHz or higher RAM, though with Intel you can get by with 2666MHz or even 2400MHz if you're on a tight budget. AMD Ryzen CPUs rely more heavily on memory frequency, so 3000MHz or higher is highly recommended for Ryzen.

Swap the 2400MHz RAM out for 3000MHz (about $5-$10 more expensive) if you're going with a Ryzen build. As above, Ryzen CPUs benefit from faster memory.

Forgot to take that off for something else I had going for my sister, I agree with the memory thing =D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£145.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£115.19 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£70.79 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£50.34 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card  (£194.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: KOLINK - OBSERVATORY RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  (£59.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: Xilence - Performance X 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£63.14 @ More Computers) 
Total: £790.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-13 12:34 GMT+0000

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks everyone for the super fast replies!

@Spotty I did forget to mention I am looking for a full tower build, no peripherals, and it will be used for gaiming mainly. And great advice on the RAM, did not know this one.

@Kiyometa Thanks for the great list, AMD is an option, I've always stuck to intel but you are right on the performance to price ration so I will defenately consider your list!

Thanks again everyone