Experience With PCI Express X1 to X16 Adapter

Does anyone know or have experience using this? Here's a link to one I found on newegg.

What exactly can this be used for? Can it perform as well with a GPU? 

My MoBo only has 1 PCI Express x16 and if I wanted to use another GPU could it work?

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I assume it can be used with a GPU, but it would be bottlenecked by the interface.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I assume it can be used with a GPU, but it would be bottlenecked by the interface.

Not for coin mining.

Quote me to get a reply!

I'm not really sure the need for it... I always assumed you could put a gpu in a 1x slot.

How severely?

† TTCF Member †

I'm not really sure the need for it... I always assumed you could put a gpu in a 1x slot.

They don't even fit?

† TTCF Member †

IIRC approx. 10%+ performance penalty running at 1x. 

It depends in a lot of cases. The 1x greatly bottleneck max bandwidth, and in applications that need a lot of texture rendering and VRAM usage (i.e. not mining) then bottleneck is there. 

Error: 410

They don't even fit?

Fair enough... I don't know why, but I could have sworn I heard that they were all compatible, you just lose bandwidth

Some mobos implement open end 1x slots so that they are compatible with expansion cards that have larger connectors. I believe you can also cut the end wall off a 1x slot and use the slot normally but that might not be your cup of tea 

Fair enough... I don't know why, but I could have sworn I heard that they were all compatible, you just lose bandwidth

Some mobos implement open end 1x slots so that they are compatible with expansion cards that have larger connectors. I believe you can also cut the end wall off a 1x slot and use the slot normally but that might not be your cup of tea 

Yep, as shown on LTT.