Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overclocking help on 7820x

About a month and a half ago I completed my second ever build, and shes pretty sweet. I'm using an Asus Strix X299-e with an i7 7820x, being cooled by a Corsair h150i 360mm AIO in push pull, and 32 GB of Corsair Vengence 2666 DDR4. When i got everything up and running my first instinct was to turn on XMP and dial in a modest overclock. I could get to around 4.4 ghz at 1.25 volts with XMP on, but never more than that. After reading on the forums that my CPU should be able to hit 4.7 with that voltage, i began playing around. I even got my voltage north of 1.3 and couldn't make 4.7 stick. Eventually with XMP off I hit 4.9 at 1.25 volts! with peak temps in the 90s but averaging the mid 80s. So I decided to turn XMP back on, and had the same stability issues. I decided to manually enter the XMP numbers with no change in stability. After turning all the timing controls and voltage back to AUTO, and just setting the speed to 2666 mhz I got the stability i desire but temps are hitting the 100's and thermal throttling. I am aware that the memory controller is on the chip, but I don't know what to do from here, do I keep the faster ram? Lower the CPU overclock? Is there some fix that i havent tried? maybe manually set the Dram voltage to 1.2 instead of Auto? Thanks so much for reading, any reply would be helpful.

12 minutes ago, JERKSON said:

About a month and a half ago I completed my second ever build, and shes pretty sweet. I'm using an Asus Strix X299-e with an i7 7820x, being cooled by a Corsair h150i 360mm AIO in push pull, and 32 GB of Corsair Vengence 2666 DDR4. When i got everything up and running my first instinct was to turn on XMP and dial in a modest overclock. I could get to around 4.4 ghz at 1.25 volts with XMP on, but never more than that. After reading on the forums that my CPU should be able to hit 4.7 with that voltage, i began playing around. I even got my voltage north of 1.3 and couldn't make 4.7 stick. Eventually with XMP off I hit 4.9 at 1.25 volts! with peak temps in the 90s but averaging the mid 80s. So I decided to turn XMP back on, and had the same stability issues. I decided to manually enter the XMP numbers with no change in stability. After turning all the timing controls and voltage back to AUTO, and just setting the speed to 2666 mhz I got the stability i desire but temps are hitting the 100's and thermal throttling. I am aware that the memory controller is on the chip, but I don't know what to do from here, do I keep the faster ram? Lower the CPU overclock? Is there some fix that i havent tried? maybe manually set the Dram voltage to 1.2 instead of Auto? Thanks so much for reading, any reply would be helpful.

I know it sounds sketchy, but delidding on x299 is almost required if you want to keep temps down. I would say a more modest overclock would be better for now, maybe something like 4.5 @1.2v. Memory and clock speed are fairly important, but if you can hit that kind of clock speed at only 1.25v then you might have a golden chip. It would be really cool to see it delidded.

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

Main rig

Cpu: R5 1600AF 3.95ghz 1.32v (literally the worst bin I've ever seen)

Mobo: MSI b450 A-Pro MAX

Ram: 16gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem 3600 cl18 (3466 14-14-14-14-28) kinda tuned subs

Gpu: MSI 1080 ti Duke OC

PSU: Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w

SSD: 512gb Inland premium nvme

HDD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda Compute

Samsung Galaxy S9 | SD845 | Adreno 640

can i ask what in the world you need 8 core's at 4.7ghz for?

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Need?  I personally prefer my 8 cores at 4.8GHz.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Need?  I personally prefer my 8 cores at 4.8GHz.

so you are just shorting the lifespan of your hardware, increasing heat output and increasing your electricity bill because you prefer it that way? 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Just now, firelighter487 said:

so you are just shorting the lifespan of your hardware, increasing heat output and increasing your electricity bill because you prefer it that way? 

Haha...This chip will last longer than I want it, and I think I can spare the change for the electricity required to keep the room cool and the machine running.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Haha...This chip will last longer than I want it, and I think I can spare the change for the electricity required to keep the room cool and the machine running.

look, if you want to do that fine, i'm not going to stop you. but to me overclocking is like, if i don't need it i won't do it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

look, if you want to do that fine, i'm not going to stop you. but to me overclocking is like, if i don't need it i won't do it. 

That's cool.  To me not overclocking is leaving free(cheap) performance on the table.

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

That's cool.  To me not overclocking is leaving free(cheap) performance on the table.

that is true, but the instability that it can cause as well is not worth it to me. but i almost never turn my machine off, i just leave it in hibernation, so if it were to crash i'd lose a bunch of stuff... 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that is true, but the instability that it can cause as well is not worth it to me. but i almost never turn my machine off, i just leave it in hibernation, so if it were to crash i'd lose a bunch of stuff... 

You do you.

But, maybe don't jump into a thread with a poster asking about help with their OC and ask them why they are overclocking?

But, maybe don't jump into a thread with a poster asking about help with their OC and ask them why they are overclocking?

i always ask because tbh i always give the advice of if you don't need it don't do it... 

She/Her

58 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

I know it sounds sketchy, but delidding on x299 is almost required if you want to keep temps down. I would say a more modest overclock would be better for now, maybe something like 4.5 @1.2v. Memory and clock speed are fairly important, but if you can hit that kind of clock speed at only 1.25v then you might have a golden chip. It would be really cool to see it delidded.

So, are the troubles I'm having with dram normal? And I am planning on deliding I just wanted to see if everything was kinda normal.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

I intern at a computer simulation lab, through my school and the extra cores really help with that. But I am a gamer at heart, and since the 7820x can lag 10-20 fps behind something like an 8700k the clock speed also helps to close that gap. Also overclocking is just a cool hobby.

30 minutes ago, JERKSON said:

So, are the troubles I'm having with dram normal? And I am planning on deliding I just wanted to see if everything was kinda normal.

It seems fairly normal, since you're stressing the imc more with the memory oc it will cause the chip to run hotter. See if you can get 5ghz on that puppy after a delid and some conductonaut.

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

Main rig

Ram: 16gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem 3600 cl18 (3466 14-14-14-14-28) kinda tuned subs

3 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

It seems fairly normal, since you're stressing the imc more with the memory oc it will cause the chip to run hotter. See if you can get 5ghz on that puppy after a delid and some conductonaut.

Heck yeah! I'll order a deliding tool tonight, have any recommendations?

4 hours ago, JERKSON said:

I intern at a computer simulation lab, through my school and the extra cores really help with that. But I am a gamer at heart, and since the 7820x can lag 10-20 fps behind something like an 8700k the clock speed also helps to close that gap. Also overclocking is just a cool hobby.

This.  This is so true.  Playing the overclocking game is something I do and completely skip the actual games.  Chasing benchmark scores is fun.  I currently hold the highest scores in Fire Strike and Time Spy for a 2700X and single 1070ti configuration.  That means absolutely nothing, but it was hours of fun chasing and achieving.    

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

10 hours ago, JERKSON said:

Heck yeah! I'll order a deliding tool tonight, have any recommendations?

Rockitcool makes good delid kits for a decent price and it's what the almighty steve from gamers nexus uses so i figure it will work pretty well 

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-99-delid-and-relid-kit-for-skylakex-kabylakex

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

Main rig

20 hours ago, nick name said:

This.  This is so true.  Playing the overclocking game is something I do and completely skip the actual games.  Chasing benchmark scores is fun.  I currently hold the highest scores in Fire Strike and Time Spy for a 2700X and single 1070ti configuration.  That means absolutely nothing, but it was hours of fun chasing and achieving.    

Yep, that's me, I feel kinda bad because I really don't even play games that much anymore, I just LOVE looking at how far I can push games and synthetics. I need to get back into gaming, just been way too obsessed with benchmarking as of late.

20 hours ago, nick name said:

Someday I really hope to break a record, someday, I will get there.

2 hours ago, JERKSON said:

Yep, that's me, I feel kinda bad because I really don't even play games that much anymore, I just LOVE looking at how far I can push games and synthetics. I need to get back into gaming, just been way too obsessed with benchmarking as of late.

Well if you haven't seen yet -- Destiny 2 is free on the Blizzard.net app.

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 hours ago, nick name said:

Well if you haven't seen yet -- Destiny 2 is free on the Blizzard.net app.

Really!? gotta go check that out RN!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I had the same issue with heat before delid, and I would absolutely recommend replacing the crappy paste Intel have chosen with the Grizzly Conductonaut! I can easily overclock to 4,8 now with max temps under 70-75.

I even got 5 GHz and under 75c stable, but that was with Conductonaut LM between AIO and IHS, something I really regret and will not recommend doing ? 

I use the NZXT Kraken x62 and used the rockit 99 tool and nail polish to seal the micro components on the board. 

The reason I ned the extra boost is because of X-plane 11, DCS and P3DV4 VR. The extra MHz helped a lot on the performance! :)

Good luck!  And don't forget to leave a small space when gluing it back on, it's obviously for ventilation. Look at picture 

20181107_113552.jpg

20181107_113514.jpg