Need help Asap!

Knightdroid250

Do I smell this burning plastic on my pc though my pc was still running well it didnt shut off and then I suddently smell this like burning plastic and noticed it was my power cable on the PSU the tip of the cable where it connects to the power outlet has been burned.I immediatly shut off my pc and plug it off.whats the cause of this is it my PSu? I really need your help. Thanks.

P_20181107_221139.jpg

P_20181107_221229.jpg

Edited by Knightdroid250
Needed to add an image

7 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

It's probably the PSU*. HOWEVER, I'd definitely get an electrician to check the power outlet as well. Wouldn't want to risk the pc burning or, even worse, a fire.

*or could be a bad cable, which is unlikely.

I added an image about the damage in the power cable though after removing it and turning off my pc the smell goes away.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

It also looks like you have no ground connection?

Whats a ground connection? 

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

something that grounds electricity for safety reasons

How to know if I have a ground connection.sorry im not really knowledgeble.

@Knightdroid250

your cable is missing this

554962d0-02a3-4384-9aa2-b83b6894b866_1.e

it may have broken off inside the socket in your wall at some point, and when it broke off something started shorting out slowly over time, so i recommend you replace the cable

also check your socket, but dont touch anything, better to get an electrician if something is stuck in there

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

The ground plug should be where that empty round role is at the bottom of the outlet side of you power cable.

All of the power outlets in your house should have a 3rd wire besides the hot and neutral connecting them together and is grounded at the electrical panel.

It allows a safe path to ground for electrical current in the event there is damage to the circuitry.

Electricity will try and take the path of least resistance to ground so if there is no ground wire it could use you as a path to ground and electrocute you if you touch something conductive on the faulty piece of equipment.

Older houses and different countries will have varied electrical codes but they usually mandate a ground in new construction or renovations.

It looks like the PSU in the computer tried to draw a lot more current than it was supposed to and as a result the wire got too hot and melted the coating.

I would replace that PSU and have an electrician look at the outlet and panel to see if the heat damaged the outlet or wiring.

The last thing you want is a house fire because a damaged outlet or wires shorted in your walls.

12 minutes ago, trufret said:

The ground plug should be where that empty round role is at the bottom of the outlet side of you power cable.

All of the power outlets in your house should have a 3rd wire besides the hot and neutral connecting them together and is grounded at the electrical panel.

It allows a safe path to ground for electrical current in the event there is damage to the circuitry.

Electricity will try and take the path of least resistance to ground so if there is no ground wire it could use you as a path to ground and electrocute you if you touch something conductive on the faulty piece of equipment.

Older houses and different countries will have varied electrical codes but they usually mandate a ground in new construction or renovations.

It looks like the PSU in the computer tried to draw a lot more current than it was supposed to and as a result the wire got too hot and melted the coating.

I would replace that PSU and have an electrician look at the outlet and panel to see if the heat damaged the outlet or wiring.

The last thing you want is a house fire because a damaged outlet or wires shorted in your walls.

In my psu its says 230v but I think my power outlet has 220v is this also a cause of this? Also when I bought the cable the middle is already removed.

42 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

something that grounds electricity for safety reasons

I see thanks.

24 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

No, this is normal. It means that its tolerances are for ~220v to ~230v. This is because electricity fluctuates.

I'd still recommend getting an electrician to check things out for you and change that PSU for a more modern one that also has safety features already built in just in case.

I see thanks.ill take my pc to the electrician.

You should stop using that power outlet before you got a electrician check on it. even if it is not the cause of the problem, it is not safe to use anyway.

11 hours ago, Cvet76 said:

Don't take your PC to the electrician, he won't know what to do with it unless he knows PCs. Let the electrician check the power outlet in your room to make sure everything is alright for further use.

Ohhh ok ok.