Awkward transfer speed curve for USB stick/pendrive

Shihab28

image.png.5f1bddf366acad08ecd62dac2477e836.png

So this is one of the screenshots I took, of transferring a movie to a new pendrive that I just received.
The same file when transferred to my older 16GB pendrive has a speed of 10MB/s for some reason, but has a fairly straight line with only 1 dip to 8MB/s in the 3rd or 4th second, and then back to normal 10MB/s.
I've tried a complete format of the drive (by simply disabling the quick format button), re-plugging the pendrive, nothing made a difference. 
Can someone please tell me why this happens and what can I do to fix this.
Thanks in advance.

The transfer speed of a usb drive is dependant on the controller on the "pendrive".

So if you bought a cheap drive with a bad on board controller there pretty much is nothing you could do.

Maybe try some optimization settings.

I also have a drive that flucutes in speed while writing to it, but when reading from it all is well. I didn't manage to fix it, so i think it has to do with the controller, which decides that.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

The transfer speed of a usb drive is dependant on the controller on the "pendrive".

So if you bought a cheap drive with a bad on board controller there pretty much is nothing you could do.

Maybe try some optimization settings.

It's a Transcend JetFlash 700, is it supposed to be bad?
Rated for USB 3.1 Gen 1
But as I have USB 2.0 on my laptop's motherboard, 25MBps is the fastest I can reach

But I still don't think Transcend would do such a thing, both pendrives are fron Transcend btw.

2 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

It's a Transcend JetFlash 700, is it supposed to be bad?
Rated for USB 3.1 Gen 1
But as I have USB 2.0 on my laptop's motherboard, 25MBps is the fastest I can reach

But I still don't think Transcend would do such a thing, both pendrives are fron Transcend btw.

On amazon it has pretty low score, so that is not good. But Transcend doesn't make that bad drives, but then again it is dirt cheap 32gb usb drive.

Before coming to the conclusion that it is the controller problem, try copying files to it using a different computer and a different usb port.

If it has the same behaviour on all computers and usb ports then it may be the drives fault.

45 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

On amazon it has pretty low score, so that is not good. But Transcend doesn't make that bad drives, but then again it is dirt cheap 32gb usb drive.

Before coming to the conclusion that it is the controller problem, try copying files to it using a different computer and a different usb port.

If it has the same behaviour on all computers and usb ports then it may be the drives fault.

I tried it on different USB ports, no difference, I don't have a second computer anywhere even near me, so I can't say much about that.
Even if it is a controller problem, is there anything I can so to at least reduce the effects?

4 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

I tried it on different USB ports, no difference, I don't have a second computer anywhere even near me, so I can't say much about that.
Even if it is a controller problem, is there anything I can so to at least reduce the effects?

You probably can just live with that. The dips aren't that big, on one of my drives it dips down to absolute 0 and then spikes up.

My theory is that the drive manufacturer didn't provide enough cache, so the drive fills up the cache, and then dumps the cache into the flash memory, and so the cycle repeats.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You probably can just live with that. The dips aren't that big, on one of my drives it dips down to absolute 0 and then spikes up.

My theory is that the drive manufacturer didn't provide enough cache, so the drive fills up the cache, and then dumps the cache into the flash memory, and so the cycle repeats.

Okay, guess I have to just live with that, it isn't that bad though, just was concerned that if this was a major issue or not.
Well thanks anyways for your time.
Have a great day.