How to lower the temperature of my 2700x ?

Kywim

Hello!

• CPU: Ryzen 2700x
  • MOBO: Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
  • CPU COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Currently, at all stocks settings my CPU hits 1.4v fairly often under light loads. (With the cores going up to 4.3Ghz) Under load (Cinebench) my CPU temps rise up to 77°c (4.15Ghz boost, 1.32v I think).

This is normal from what I've read, but too noisy/hot to my liking.

I'd like to bring the temps a bit down to make my computer more silent and cooler. (Example: I'm ready to lose up to 5% performance if that means that my CPU will run 10°c cooler.)

How can I do that?

Some people told me that undervolting the CPU (by 0.05v, maybe more) would help greatly. Is that true? By how much should I undervolt?

What else can I do ?

Thank you!

at stock settings you can lower your voltage down to like ~1.25v and be fine. Thats the best way is to find the lowest voltage you can run at stable. This will decrease your temps.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

32 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

at stock settings you can lower your voltage down to like ~1.25v and be fine. Thats the best way is to find the lowest voltage you can run at stable. This will decrease your temps.

I plan to try 0.5 or 0.75v and see how it goes, if I want it a little cooler I'll try lower, but I have a few questions:

• When idling, my CPU's VCore goes down to 0.8v, with undervolting, it'll go even lower I guess? Will that still be stable with (e.g.) 0.7v? I don't want to crash at idle ?
  • Are these the correct steps to undervolt my CPU?
    • Go to the BIOS
    • Find "VDDCR CPU Voltage" and change it from AUTO to OFFSET MODE
    • Set the OFFSET MODE to "-" (minus)
    • Set the OFFSET to 0.05 (or the value I wish to use)
  • Will I need to change any other setting, such as "SoC" voltage?

Sorry if theses questions seem stupid, but It's my first time changing BIOS settings like that I'd like to be sure of what I'm doing

Edited by Kywim
Adding comment

3 hours ago, Kywim said:

I plan to try 0.5 or 0.75v and see how it goes, if I want it a little cooler I'll try lower, but I have a few questions:

• When idling, my CPU's VCore goes down to 0.8v, with undervolting, it'll go even lower I guess? Will that still be stable with (e.g.) 0.7v? I don't want to crash at idle ?
    • Go to the BIOS

Sorry if theses questions seem stupid, but It's my first time changing BIOS settings like that I'd like to be sure of what I'm doing

You can just use ryzen master to alter voltage. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

38 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

You can just use ryzen master to alter voltage. 

I think that'll only apply the voltage when ryzen master starts, I'd like to do it in the BIOS so it's more "definitive"

Just now, Kywim said:

I think that'll only apply the voltage when ryzen master starts, I'd like to do it in the BIOS so it's more "definitive"

You can do it to work out the stable minimum voltage and then set it, AFAIK Ryzen master changed the bios too right? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Kywim said:

I dont know about that, maybe ?

I've just double checked, it seems it does in fact change BIOS settings. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

16 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I've just double checked, it seems it does in fact change BIOS settings. 

Okay but (no offense) for thoses kind of things I'd really like to change it in the BIOS, I'd feel more comfortable with that than doing it through a software. Can I get an answer for this question?

• When idling, my CPU's VCore goes down to 0.8v, with undervolting, it'll go even lower I guess? Will that still be stable with (e.g.) 0.7v? I don't want to crash at idle 
    • Go to the BIOS

1 minute ago, Kywim said:

Okay but (no offense) for thoses kind of things I'd really like to change it in the BIOS, I'd feel more comfortable with that than doing it through a software. Can I get an answer for this question?

Different BIOS's have different names for things like CPU core voltage, i'd look up an OC guide for your motherboard vendor just to be safe. 

If you get it wrong you can kill the chip, which is why the master software exists. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Can I really kill my CPU by undervolting it?

Also, do you have a source on "Ryzen Master writes the changes to the BIOS" ? I can't find any

38 minutes ago, Kywim said:

Can I really kill my CPU by undervolting it?

Also, do you have a source on "Ryzen Master writes the changes to the BIOS" ? I can't find any

You won't kill your CPU with undervolting.  If it isn't stable then the system will just freeze up and require a reboot. 

I am running load line calibration plus a negative offset.  LLC 4 with -.075.  The LLC will keep your voltages, while underload, similar to what they are now, however, it will keep your top end voltages down.  So if you can't get negative offset, by itself, to work then try it with load line calibration.

Also, does the Strix board have a BCLK adjuster?  I can't remember what's in that BIOS.  Because you can use BCLK to underclock your CPU also.

And is there any willingness to go to an AIO cooler?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

You won't kill your CPU with undervolting.  If it isn't stable then the system will just freeze up and require a reboot. 

I am running load line calibration plus a negative offset.  LLC 4 with -.075.  The LLC will keep your voltages, while underload, similar to what they are now, however, it will keep your top end voltages down.  So if you can't get negative offset, by itself, to work then try it with load line calibration.

Also, does the Strix board have a BCLK adjuster?  I can't remember what's in that BIOS.  Because you can use BCLK to underclock your CPU also.

And is there any willingness to go to an AIO cooler?  

1) I'd like to turn down my voltage under load too. It's 1.39v in Cinebench which gives me high temperatures. I'd like something more reasonable.

2) why should I underclock my CPU? I mean, it runs fine at stock, the voltage is just too high I think?

3) An AIO cooler won't give me much better performance. A Dark Rock Pro 4 is nearly equivalent to a 240mm AIO I think.

5 hours ago, Kywim said:

I'd like to bring the temps a bit down to make my computer more silent and cooler. (Example: I'm ready to lose up to 5% performance if that means that my CPU will run 10°c

cooler.)

How can I do that?

This ^^ is why I mentioned using BCLK to reduce your CPU speed a little.

In Cinebench at 4.15GHz I use 1.3V with my LLC 4 and offset -.075 so I would say give that a try and see where it lands you.  Then move up or down with the offset until you find your limit of stability.  I use LLC because I found negative offsets mess with your top speed stability and when I added the LLC it solved that for me.  

So with that 4.15GHz at 1.3V I was seeing a high temp of 65.3*C with a CPU idle of 31.5*C.  I am mentioning the CPU idle temp because I don't know the ambient temperature of the room so it is to serve as a point of reference. 

I am also using a 360 AIO which is based off of the 4th generation Asetek pump.  I just ordered a 5th generation Asetek AIO (Fractal Design S36) so I can let you know how or if that improves come Wednesday.  I've read the same about the Dark Rock Pro 4, but don't have any first hand experience.  The reason to make even a lateral move to a 240mm AIO would be noise.  The fans won't be as loud on an AIO cooler as they are with your Dark Rock.  Then you could also look at a 280mm or a 360mm for more cooling head-room.  Recently the EVGA CLC 280 was $99 on Newegg and Amazon, but that price has since gone back up to $119.  And I bought the Fractal Design S36 for $114 on Newegg. So while moving to an AIO may not get you a lot of extra cooling performance it would reduce noise levels.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

17 minutes ago, Kywim said:

What does LLC do? How does it work?

It's load line calibration.  It more or less pre-loads voltage to prevent droop in voltage.  

• 8 months later...

hey people im new to all this oc stuff but i come across this post as i am oc my 2700x right now as im typing this and what i found is oh i have asus x470 gaming f mobo and 2700x ive tried level 4 oc which is in bios 4804 and with that can easy get 4.25 all cores and 4.35 single core i have noctua d15 and 3 high performace noctua ippc with very high static prssure 10.52mmh2o but i have to tune them cos can be very loud But after all the messing about ive done i found that an offset of 0.1 works very well with no llc and enabling PB with this setting can get 4.2 to 4.225 all core and 4.35 single but with alot less noise and alot cooler temps playing doom 2016 1080 max settings and streaming using obs with fast preset at 720/60 absolutly finebut there is 1 minor problem now when ur not doing nothing the voltage goes as low as 0.706 which can sometimes end up rebooting now and then but only when ur doing nothing so i think the setting 1 under the 0.1 so i think that works out like 0.9126 this works but with slightly less all core performance so like 4.175 to 4.2 but no reboot at low load lowest voltage ive seen is 0.736 which i think seems ok up to now also the power plan within windows has alot of effect on performance aswel i use the reccomended balanced powerplan ive tested multiple cinibench r15 and r20 tests and found the aka recomended balanced to be better than high performance and ryzen balanced powerplan its more consistant anyway this post old but hope this might help someone with same mobo and cpu 

2 minutes ago, Stanic said:

hey people im new to all this oc stuff but i come across this post as i am oc my 2700x right now as im typing this and what i found is oh i have asus x470 gaming f mobo and 2700x ive tried level 4 oc which is in bios 4804 and with that can easy get 4.25 all cores and 4.35 single core i have noctua d15 and 3 high performace noctua ippc with very high static prssure 10.52mmh2o but i have to tune them cos can be very loud But after all the messing about ive done i found that an offset of 0.1 works very well with no llc and enabling PB with this setting can get 4.2 to 4.225 all core and 4.35 single but with alot less noise and alot cooler temps playing doom 2016 1080 max settings and streaming using obs with fast preset at 720/60 absolutly finebut there is 1 minor problem now when ur not doing nothing the voltage goes as low as 0.706 which can sometimes end up rebooting now and then but only when ur doing nothing so i think the setting 1 under the 0.1 so i think that works out like 0.9126 this works but with slightly less all core performance so like 4.175 to 4.2 but no reboot at low load lowest voltage ive seen is 0.736 which i think seems ok up to now also the power plan within windows has alot of effect on performance aswel i use the reccomended balanced powerplan ive tested multiple cinibench r15 and r20 tests and found the aka recomended balanced to be better than high performance and ryzen balanced powerplan its more consistant anyway this post old but hope this might help someone with same mobo and cpu 

I run a daily undervolt on VCORE of -.1000V.  It doesn't make it through AVX loads or vigorous single-core loads so I have to been mindful of that.  However, it will do gaming and all the other daily tasks I ask it to.  Also, most people don't need very much SOC voltage.  1.0V on SOC at 3600MHz is usually fine unless you're running very tight sub-timings and that might require 1.05V or a little bit more.  

Performance Enhancer Level 4 is a PBO overclocking feature ASUS implemented in ROG boards.  It's also essentially the same as Level 3, but Level 3 has a lower EDC value so it reaches a lower all-core speed.  With that said you can adjust EDC with Ryzen Master and probably BIOS if you're on the latest one.  I mention this because if Level 4 is too high and Level 3 is too low you can find the middle ground with adjusting EDC.  Before Level 3 would set EDC to 145, but it may not now so you'd have to check with Ryzen Master.  Then what you can do is set EDC somewhere between what Level 3 and Level 4 sets.  I mentioned BIOS versions and that might matter for max EDC now too.  It use to be limited to 168, but now it seems to be unlimited though only actually changes core speed up to about 182.  

And the difference you see in Windows power plans is tied to Minimum Processor State.  For the Ryzen 2000 CPUs to reach all its p-states Minimum Processor State has to be less than 50%.  I use 20% and Ultimate Performance Plan and you can use any plan you'd like as long as Minimum Processor State is below 50%.