Rtx 2080 ti overclocking and cables

For anyone who plans on using this card or overclocking. Use 2 pci Express power cables! Piggybacking off one will limit your power and your frequency will not be stable. Ever since I got my card I could only overclock to +65 on the core and the boost clock jumped between 2070 and 1965 mhz. I plugged a separate pcie power cord in and now I'm hitting +120 mhz and a stable boost clock of 2100 to 2085.

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled

I thought this was common sense. Why would you piggyback anything that can draw that kind of power? I mean I guess some people might not have a choice depending on the PSU they use, but a good power supply is one of the more important items in a system so I would never suggest going cheap here.

20 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I thought this was common sense. Why would you piggyback anything that can draw that kind of power? I mean I guess some people might not have a choice depending on the PSU they use, but a good power supply is one of the more important items in a system so I would never suggest going cheap here.

Well with my old gtx 1080ti I used only one cabe for a better appearance/cable management. The 1080 ti worked fine at 150 oc, normally was hitting 2085 mhz on it. Didn't realize this card need so much more power. Have a 850w evga gold psu. Also, that's why I made this post. To inform anyone else that this card needs 2 cables, not complaining. Just needs to be said.

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled