upgrading CPU to play Space Engineers

ok this is what I currently have 

and I need a better CPU to run space enginers better and maybe more memory

the question is do I just buy the best CPU for the motherboard I have? like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VKx9TW/intel-core-i7-7700k-42ghz-quad-core-processor-bx80677i77700k and then sell my CPU?

or should I just get a whole new motherboard and get a 9th gen CPU and go all out? and then sell my motherboard AND CPU? and if I do that will I have to buy a new Windows 10 license Key?

the 7700k is a great choise if you get it second hand, but not brand new. Intel is pretty expensive with the 14 nm shortage rn. have you taken a look into the 2600 and 2700 from amd?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the 7700k is a great choise if you get it second hand, but not brand new. Intel is pretty expensive with the 14 nm shortage rn. have you taken a look into the 2600 and 2700 from amd?

the point is that I need a higher clock speed the only way to get that is Intel. the higher the clock speed the better it will run. and I would also like a couple extra cores. for multitasking.

Well reading every thing your PC meats all the full requirements. I see relay want to upgrade yea I 7700K would be good upgrade it is still one of the beast cpu's. Then I would upgrade your GPU to 1070 or 1080 or 1080 ti.    

Just now, Kodi4444 said:

the point is that I need a higher clock speed the only way to get that is Intel. the higher the clock speed the better it will run. and I would also like a couple extra cores. for multitasking.

ever heared of overclocking? intel skylake+++ (aka coffee lake refresh aka 9th gen) is good, but way too expensive right now. if you want to go intel, wait a while

7 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

Well reading every thing your PC meats all the full requirements. I see relay want to upgrade yea I 7700K would be good upgrade it is still one of the beast cpu's. Then I would upgrade your GPU to 1070 or 1080 or 1080 ti.    

I don't need high graphics or > 60 fps just less lag for big worlds and big builds. that's is all CPU. I am good playing at 60fps at 2560x1080 on medium settings. then later when RTX support is here i will upgrade to an RTX card

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ever heared of overclocking? intel skylake+++ (aka coffee lake refresh aka 9th gen) is good, but way too expensive right now. if you want to go intel, wait a while

that's why I was thinking about getting just upgrading to a 7700K even though I'm petty sure my motherboard can't do overclocking.

Just now, Kodi4444 said:

that's why I was thinking about getting just upgrading to a 7700K even though I'm petty sure my motherboard can't do overclocking.

it can, it's z series

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

it can, it's z series

it can? that's great! will I need a better cooler? the one that's on there is about what I have not exactly the same one. 

1 minute ago, Kodi4444 said:

it can? that's great! will I need a better cooler? the one that's on there is about what I have not exactly the same one. 

is it the 212 evo you listed or not? or is it just the stock cooler?

should be fine for not too heavy oc's. if you want to spend some money on a cooler you can get some better results, but it's not a requirement

ok, This is great news! now I just need to purchase an i7-7700K should I buy new or used? and what should I do with my old CPU?

Just now, Kodi4444 said:

ok, This is great news! now I just need to purchase an i7-7700K should I buy new or used? and what should I do with my old CPU?

why would you buy new, it costs almost the same as 8700k, on newegg it is actually more expensive. just buy them on ebay, this form, or hardwareswap, I would recommend hardwareswap more since they have robust anti scam and all the price are fairly reasonable. you can also sell your cpu there. just make sure to check the rules so you know how things operate there.

17 minutes ago, appleache said:

why would you buy new, it costs almost the same as 8700k, on newegg it is actually more expensive. just buy them on ebay, this form, or hardwareswap, I would recommend hardwareswap more since they have robust anti scam and all the price are fairly reasonable. you can also sell your cpu there. just make sure to check the rules so you know how things operate there.

what is hardwareswap? I didn't know you could buy stuff on this forum.

Just now, Kodi4444 said:

what is hardwareswap?

ask mr Google, it a pc part trade subreddit.

23 hours ago, appleache said:

this form

where on this form can I buy hardware? I can't find it

21 hours ago, Kodi4444 said:

Is $315 a good price for a brand new i7 7700K? 

USD? after looking on eBay I'd say $315 is a good price for a brand new 7700K considering the cheapest I could find for a used one is $300 or make a offer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-I7-7700k-Kaby-Lake-Quad-core-4-2-GHz-LGA-1151-8mb-Cache/264010507320?epid=5020834597&hash=item3d7840a438:g:nsAAAOSwnFpb1V5C

Looking at the recomended system requirements though: https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Quad Core i7 @ 4.5 GHz or higher (or AMD equivalent)

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Graphics: Geforce 1070 GTX / Radeon RX Vega 56 or higher

DirectX: Version 11

Storage: 25 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX® compatible on-board

Additional Notes: No internet connection needed for single player, but for multiplayer we recommend 5Mbit/s or more

So you would need to upgrade your GPU also from a GTX 1060 6GB to a GTX 1070/Radeon RX Vega 56 or better also, unless your willing to turn down graphic settings considering you should already meet the minimum requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel i5 @ 3.0 GHz or higher (or AMD equivalent)

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Geforce 750/Radeon R9 270X or higher

Additional Notes: No internet connection needed for single player, but for multiplayer we recommend 5Mbit/s or more

if your problem is with lag in multiplayer, then maybe it's a internet problem & not a hardware problem.

10 hours ago, Kodi4444 said:

where on this form can I buy hardware? I can't find it

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/

right now 8700k used price is around 300, it just not many are on sale since the 14nm issue. ill say spending 300 for 7700k is not worth it at all, it goes around 300 right now is only because of intel's stock situation. once it is solved (2 month top) it will crash down to 200 or even lower.

if you want best performance money can get just switch to z370 and try to find a 8700k/8600k, and sell your old cpu & motherboard as combo.

if you want to keep your motherboard just buy a 6700k, it goes around 200 even on ebay , there isn't much performance difference between 67k and 77k

On 11/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, Lord Letto said:

USD? after looking on eBay I'd say $315 is a good price for a brand new 7700K considering the cheapest I could find for a used one is $300 or make a offer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-I7-7700k-Kaby-Lake-Quad-core-4-2-GHz-LGA-1151-8mb-Cache/264010507320?epid=5020834597&hash=item3d7840a438:g:nsAAAOSwnFpb1V5C

Looking at the recomended system requirements though: https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Quad Core i7 @ 4.5 GHz or higher (or AMD equivalent)

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Graphics: Geforce 1070 GTX / Radeon RX Vega 56 or higher

So you would need to upgrade your GPU also from a GTX 1060 6GB to a GTX 1070/Radeon RX Vega 56 or better also, unless your willing to turn down graphic settings considering you should already meet the minimum requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel i5 @ 3.0 GHz or higher (or AMD equivalent)

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Geforce 750/Radeon R9 270X or higher

if your problem is with lag in multiplayer, then maybe it's a internet problem & not a hardware problem.

I'm fine running on low settings

Space engineers is still a thing? I mean it was fun like... 4 years ago? Is it fully released yet?