RAM Overclocking

Eton
Go to solution Solved by Eton,

I've managed to reach a peak frequency of 2866MHz, anything past that either causes AIDA64 to report a hardware failure or cause Windows 10 to BSOD

I want to up the speed of my RAM, as well as change the timings. I have a slight understanding of how Ram speeds work, but not timings. What do you guys recommend for the speed and timings of 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHz?

1 minute ago, Eton said:

I want to up the speed of my RAM, as well as change the timings. I have a slight understanding of how Ram speeds work, but not timings. What do you guys recommend for the speed and timings of 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHz?

If you're saying MHz, you're already saying the speed.

Timings however are another thing. You should aim for RAM with lower timings out of the box if you can, but in all honesty, it's probably not gaining much. The timing numbers are in clock cycles, so the difference of 1 timing value in a DDR4-2400 RAM (or is it DDR4-4800?) is literally a half a nanosecond

4 minutes ago, Eton said:

2x 8GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHz?

The real question is what are the timings already?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're saying MHz, you're already saying the speed.

Timings however are another thing. You should aim for RAM with lower timings out of the box if you can, but in all honesty, it's probably not gaining much. The timing numbers are in clock cycles, so the difference of 1 timing value in a DDR4-2400 RAM (or is it DDR4-4800?) is literally a half a nanosecond

Its 2 sticks both running at 2400MHz, but If the timings aren't that important, what should I up the speed to? Would 3000MHz be a safe number?

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The real question is what are the timings already?

They're at stock. (15-15-15-36)

I have the same RAM kit in my PC

my MSI B360i motherboard has presets for RAM speeds so im able to run this kit at 2666mhz @ CL14 without any issues. i didnt notice any actual benefits though - working in Premiere Pro and Lightroom

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

I have the same RAM kit in my PC

my MSI B360i motherboard has presets for RAM speeds so im able to run this kit at 2666mhz @ CL14 without any issues. i didnt notice any actual benefits though - working in Premiere Pro and Lightroom

Alright, I'm probably going to try 3000MHz, I'll post an update later.

8 minutes ago, Eton said:

Alright, I'm probably going to try 3000MHz, I'll post an update later.

When overclocking, always try to go up in smaller increments. Try 2666 MHz first and see if the system is stable. 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Overclocking ram is purely synthetic numbers majority of the time and the added potential instability isn't worth.

3 hours ago, Rex_G said:

When overclocking, always try to go up in smaller increments. Try 2666 MHz first and see if the system is stable. 

Alright, I'll try that.

I've managed to reach a peak frequency of 2866MHz, anything past that either causes AIDA64 to report a hardware failure or cause Windows 10 to BSOD