New Build, Testing Thermals - Help!

mgrinspan

Hi,

I just built a rig and I wasn't 200% confident I applied the thermal paste/cpu cooler perfectly, so I decided to run some stress tests.

The CPU is a 2200G with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the stock cooler.

It maxes at 72C with AIDA64 and 83C with Prime95. Which number more accurately represents how high I can expect the temps to get?

Also note that the average ambient temperature of the room the PC will be in is about 10F hotter (~85F) than the room I'm testing in. (~75F)

I'm also wondering if I have to do any other special tests for the GPU part of the 2200G? Not sure if that's a stupid question.

Thanks! :)

1 minute ago, mgrinspan said:

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the stock cooler.

Why.

What motherboard? What case?

If you're just doing gaming just run a game or something to check your temps.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Why.

It's what I had, I know it's a weird combo...

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why.

Case is DIYPC DIY-F2-P and mobo is MSI B450M PRO-VDH

I think AIDA64 will be more representative of real world temps, Prime95 really pushes the CPU with AVX loads, which you'll rarely or even never see. My 2600k OC'd taps the 80C mark in Prime95, but runs 50-70C in games, which is just fine.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

2 minutes ago, mgrinspan said:

It's what I had, I know it's a weird combo...

Should have saved the paste for when you put a real cooler on it lol the paste is worth more than the stock cooler.

Your motherboard has no VRM heatsink on the SoC VRM, don't run stress tests anymore unless you put a fan over the top VRM

Also only a 2 phase looks like, really should have gotten an ASrock Pro 4 or MSI Tomahawk board for the APU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should have saved the paste for when you put a real cooler on it lol the paste is worth more than the stock cooler.

Your motherboard has no VRM heatsink on the SoC VRM, don't run stress tests anymore unless you put a fan over the top VRM

Also only a 2 phase looks like, really should have gotten an ASrock Pro 4 or MSI Tomahawk board for the APU

This is what my fan setup looks like, the one on top and left are exhaust, the 3 (2 of them hard to see) on the front are intake. Is that enough for stress tests?

20181030_195643.jpg

45 minutes ago, mgrinspan said:

You don't really need the extra fans for exhaust if you already have 2 fans in the front of that case, just stick one over the VRM like the image to keep it cool since it has no heatsink

Preferably you'd have some way to measure the temps of the mosfett but that's probably not needed so long as it gets direct airflow.

1726783743_VRMfan.thumb.jpg.88aadc2120dc01e30f4aa72434a8ea39.jpg

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You don't really need the extra fans for exhaust if you already have 2 fans in the front of that case, just stick one over the VRM like the image to keep it cool since it has no heatsink

Preferably you'd have some way to measure the temps of the mosfett but that's probably not needed so long as it gets direct airflow.

1726783743_VRMfan.thumb.jpg.88aadc2120dc01e30f4aa72434a8ea39.jpg

Any idea how I can mount a fan there that will survive being shipped 3600 miles? Without screw holes I'd expect it to fall out of anything makeshift and break something.

Any idea how I can mount a fan there that will survive being shipped 3600 miles? Without screw holes I'd expect it to fall out of anything makeshift and break something.

Probably just fix it after shipping or tell them to fix it somehow after shipping

You might be able to contact MSI or something and request to buy a heatsink for that VRM from them, it should already have the holes set up for it

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just fix it after shipping or tell them to fix it somehow after shipping

You might be able to contact MSI or something and request to buy a heatsink for that VRM from them, it should already have the holes set up for it

Do you think all this is really necessary? Or only if I want to run stress tests? The person using the PC will likely never use it for anything intensive

Do you think all this is really necessary? Or only if I want to run stress tests? The person using the PC will likely never use it for anything intensive

Then just leave everything at stock settings and it's not going to matter

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Then just leave everything at stock settings and it's not going to matter

Sounds good to me, thanks for your help!

Aida is close to what intensive rendering would be like. Test using Asus RealBench if you want actual real world results. Or 3DMark and Unigine tests for more gaming style loads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv