10 GB ram on phones?

Budjet Tech

I was wondering how phones like the Xiaomi mi mix 3 have 10 GB of ram using a Qualcomme Snapdragon 845 cpu, according to Qualcomme the SD845 has a maximum of 8 GB of ram.

If anyone know please tell me I'm confused.

thanks

Because the company who makes the phone decided to

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

The engineers at the companies know what they are doing, and obviously engineer in the design failure for future profit earnings. Plus everything is licensed so I dont think they can stray too far off the well beaten tourist trail.

It’s just to bulk up the spec sheet and make people think it’s a better deal than it is. It’s also the lazy way out of optimizing the ram in your phone to work more efficiently (the reason iphones and pixels don’t have a ton of it, they don’t need it) 

You can't "optimize" the Ram. Either you have Ram or you don't. You can't swing a magic stick and 3gb Ram works better than 8.

- The App themself decide how much Ram they use and need. Manufacturers can't do anything there. App developers need to. And this has a limit. Apps get bigger, get higher resolution assets, etc etc etc. It's a natural progression. Just like there are Games that stutter visibly more, if you have only 8gb Ram in your Computer.

Take Cars for example. Mercedes, BMW etc can optimize as much as they want. You won't fit 20-30 people in their Car, unless they make the Car bigger. People can train, flex, and squeeze themselfes into the Car. But there is a Limit, and the only thing that helps then are 2 things: Smaller People, or bigger Car.

- What the manufacturer can optimize is the Ram management itself, and for that, you need to understand how it works. There can be thresholds, where the System starts clearing the Ram. Maybe the System always wants 1gb Free Ram, so it's "ready" as soon you open something big. Maybe it can be tweaked to only 200 mb free, and almost everything is "used" up.

- But at some point.. As Apps get bigger, and you maybe use more apps, Ram will be filled. And if it's full, and you open another app, another one gets thrown out. Open it --> Reload.

More Ram doesn't hurt. Not enough Ram does.

If you don't need 10gb Ram, then buy the cheaper model. Simple as that. I think it's great when phone makers push further away, even tho it might be overkill today, and even next year. A MUCH better way, than what google does. Releasing a 1000€ Phone as a 4gb-Cripple.

I honestly rather have 4gb Ram too much, than 1gb Ram too less.

Btw: Oneplus showed a nice idea on their 6t Event. They use parts of the Ram as a kind of "Cache". Parts from huge Apps, like Games, are preloaded into the Ram, so they will load much faster when you actually start them.

Just like a Cache on a computer does, just what an Intel Optane does for Windows.

All that, to push the performance, App open times, and more important: App REload open times to the best possbile.