Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Better GPU deal?

DragonsRift
 Share

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

GTX 980 obviously not twice as fast, but it's a fair bit faster and has more memory...comes down to how much GPU you think you need?

The answer to this question generally is ''as much as possible'' i would argue that a GTX 980 is more likely to meet your needs and expectations

and it's a lot better in games so i would spend 200$ on a 980 instead.

 

Performance per dollar tho the 780 at 100$ would win hands down.

If you only play lighter games...esport type games, CSgo etc. then 780 might be enough for now...if you dive into more demanding AAA games for example then buy the best card you can afford.

GTX 980 obviously not twice as fast, but it's a fair bit faster and has more memory...comes down to how much GPU you think you need?

The answer to this question generally is ''as much as possible'' i would argue that a GTX 980 is more likely to meet your needs and expectations

and it's a lot better in games so i would spend 200$ on a 980 instead.

 

Performance per dollar tho the 780 at 100$ would win hands down.

If you only play lighter games...esport type games, CSgo etc. then 780 might be enough for now...if you dive into more demanding AAA games for example then buy the best card you can afford.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

A new rx 580 is 205$.

 

Get a used r9 290x for sub 150$. 

Edited by GoldenLag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

A new rx 580 is 205$.

 

Get a used r9 290 for sub 150$. 

a used GTX 980 is a better choice than both of these IMHO...it's faster than RX 580, more games are optimized for this architecture as well...

R9 290 was a great card 4 years ago, the survivors that are still working to this day are likely to fail soon...huge power hungry chips, run hot...tend to die faster.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-AMD-RX-580/2576vs3923

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

a used GTX 980 is a better choice than both of these IMHO...it's faster than RX 580, more games are optimized for this architecture as well...

R9 290 was a great card 4 years ago, the survivors that are still working to this day are likely to fail soon...huge power hungry chips, run hot...tend to die faster.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-AMD-RX-580/2576vs3923

Forgot to add the X. Srry 

 

R9 cards today are working fine, dont know what you are on about 

 

980 is better, but its also more expencive. You can get an R9 fury for the same and often less.

 

GCN has aged better than the Nvidia equivelent. And they are aging better since they are compute cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

 

-980 is better, but its also more expencive. You can get an R9 fury for the same and often less.

 

-GCN has aged better than the Nvidia equivelent. And they are aging better since they are compute cards.

-i would still prefer a GTX 980 to a Fury

-This is the bullocks AMD fanboy spits out to justify their purchase decision, GTX 980 still perform better in most games, and all graphics cards are compute cards.

 

 

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

-i would still prefer a GTX 980 to a Fury

-This is the bullocks AMD fanboy spits out to justify their purchase decision, GTX 980 still perform better in most games, and all graphics cards are compute cards.

 

 

Now now. I wouldnt be speaking of it aging better if there wasnt some merrit behind it.

 

GCN is a lot more compute oriented than the contemporary Nvidia macroarchitecture.

 

When it comes buying older cards AMD is currently  better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Now now. I wouldnt be speaking of it aging better if there wasnt some merrit behind it.

 

GCN is a lot more compute oriented than the contemporary Nvidia macroarchitecture.

 

When it comes buying older cards AMD is currently  better

alright, i disagree with everything you've just said...for many reasons, i will not get into that...you can prove that kepler didn't aged so well which is fine and i would tend to agree...980 is based on maxwell which is aging very very well, it's still receiving lots of performance improvement and newer games support it extremely well, especially compared to anything AMD which really tend to be hit and miss...and Maxwell based compute cards were the best money could buy at the time, that's why every major studio is developping on nvidia, disney, pixar, every major CAD software developper and high profile company etc... we are all on nvidia for multiple reasons.

So as far as i'm concerned i'm done here, we'll just have to agree to disagree and i hope it's fine for you :)


Have a good day!

 

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

alright, i disagree with everything you've just said...for many reasons, i will not get into that...you can prove that kepler didn't aged so well which is fine and i would tend to agree...980 is based on maxwell which is aging very very well, it's still receiving lots of performance improvement and newer games support it extremely well, especially compared to anything AMD which really tend to be hit and miss...and Maxwell based compute cards were the best money could buy at the time, that's why every major studio is developping on nvidia, disney, pixar, every major CAD software developper and high profile company etc... we are all on nvidia for multiple reasons.

So as far as i'm concerned i'm done here, we'll just have to agree to disagree and i hope it's fine for you :)


Have a good day!

 

Oh i can clearly see why companies use Nvidia hardware instead of AMD.

 

Maxwell have untill today aged really well and i expect it to continue to do so.

 

On the used market however AMD cards in the GCN branch are generally the better pickup. 

 

And when it comes to games and drivers both companies have their flops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×