Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best 980tTi Cooler

Jakerb2028

So I recently got a new case and my 980ti is now getting hotter since it isn't getting as much airflow as before. I have been wanting to get an aftermarket cooler for it and this gives me the perfect reason. I've seen a couple and this one from other forums looks like the best option. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K64146107&ignorebbr=

What does the LTT forum think of my choice? I have yet to order it and will have around $60 USD to spend on it not including buying better thermal paste.

spend $12 on a fan for the front of your case lol, or up the fan curve of your current card

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

What are your specs and temps?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The link is dead, but I can tell you that the Accelero extreme III/IV are both awesome, as is the morpheus.  If both of those are out of your budget, and you have a lot of space consider adapting a CPU cooler to the GPU as a cost effective and quiet solution (remember to keep the vrms safe)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I have a custom fan curve and it doesn't help very much and there is no good mounting for a frontal fan. My specs are i5-6400, Artic Alpine 11 gt rev cpu cooler, msi b150 gaming m3 mobo, 16gb of g.skill ddr4 2400 ram, MSI 980Ti Founders Edition, evga 450b  psu all inside a DIYPC DIY-Model X-W-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case. I have 2 fans mounted on the bottom to bring air up directly on the 980 but it really isn't enough. I have a good extra 3-4 inches of space from the card to the front of the case. Will this be plenty for the extreme?

47 minutes ago, Jakerb2028 said:

I have a good extra 3-4 inches of space from the card to the front of the case.  Will this be plenty for the extreme?

Yes, the cooler fits in the case.

What are your temps? 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, the cooler fits in the case.

What are your temps? 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Gotcha. Completely forgot about it. My temps have hit 83c while in 7 days to die. I had an overclock of +250 on core and +350 on memory but currently have everything back to default since it was overheating and crashing games. Non overclock the highest I have seen is 75c while playing Deserts of Kharak. 

3 hours ago, Jakerb2028 said:

I have a custom fan curve and it doesn't help very much and there is no good mounting for a frontal fan. My specs are i5-6400, Artic Alpine 11 gt rev cpu cooler, msi b150 gaming m3 mobo, 16gb of g.skill ddr4 2400 ram, MSI 980Ti Founders Edition, evga 450b  psu all inside a DIYPC DIY-Model X-W-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case. I have 2 fans mounted on the bottom to bring air up directly on the 980 but it really isn't enough. I have a good extra 3-4 inches of space from the card to the front of the case. Will this be plenty for the extreme?

Use zip ties boooiiiii

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

5 minutes ago, Jakerb2028 said:

Gotcha. Completely forgot about it. My temps have hit 83c while in 7 days to die. I had an overclock of +250 on core and +350 on memory but currently have everything back to default since it was overheating and crashing games. Non overclock the highest I have seen is 75c while playing Deserts of Kharak. 

83c isn't overheating. Are you referring to 83c at stock or while oc'ing?

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Use zip ties boooiiiii

Not going to help for a reference blower cooler.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

He was talking about mounting an intake on the front?

3 hours ago, Jakerb2028 said:

and there is no good mounting for a frontal fan.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

OC. When it hits 83 whatever game I am running crashes. I have pinpointed it to overheating. I ran some tests. The first one was taking my pc to my dads when my brothers went down for his weekend and went to the extremely cool basement and put my overclock back on and it did not crash at all no matter what game I ran. It also never hit anything above 60c. Test worked great but froze to death playing 7 days lol. I also reseated it and checked the power cables. If it isn't overheating what else could it be? If I somehow come off in an ahole way my bad lol. Just trying to fix my baby XD. I have no money for another gpu currently.

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

He was talking about mounting an intake on the front?

There is no mounting on the front for anything.

Just now, Jakerb2028 said:

OC. When it hits 83 whatever game I am running crashes. I have pinpointed it to overheating. I ran some tests. The first one was taking my pc to my dads when my brothers went down for his weekend and went to the extremely cool basement and put my overclock back on and it did not crash at all no matter what game I ran. It also never hit anything above 60c. Test worked great but froze to death playing 7 days lol. I also reseated it and checked the power cables. If it isn't overheating what else could it be? If I somehow come off in an ahole way my bad lol. Just trying to fix my baby XD. I have no money for another gpu currently.

Higher temps can make it harder to achieve a stable oc so better cooling would help.

1 minute ago, Jakerb2028 said:

There is no mounting on the front for anything.

There are 3 120mm fan mounts at the front. 

11-353-145-Z10.jpg

On 10/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Higher temps can make it harder to achieve a stable oc so better cooling would help.

There are 3 120mm fan mounts at the front. 

11-353-145-Z10.jpg

Okay there are I just don't have the correct screws to mount it and sorry for the days late reply. Work has been kicking my butt lol.

6 hours ago, Jakerb2028 said:

Okay there are I just don't have the correct screws to mount it and sorry for the days late reply. Work has been kicking my butt lol.

They're standard fan screws. In case you didn't know, you're supposed to remove the front panel when installing fans.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:13 PM, WoodenMarker said:

They're standard fan screws. In case you didn't know, you're supposed to remove the front panel when installing fans.

I know I'm supposed to remove the front it just looks like the fans will move up and down while mounted since there aren't screw sized holes. 

4 minutes ago, Jakerb2028 said:

I know I'm supposed to remove the front it just looks like the fans will move up and down while mounted since there aren't screw sized holes. 

The screws are tight enough that the fans don't move.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The screws are tight enough that the fans don't move.

True.