Trying to build an AMD-system!

Alchibiades

Hi there,

I try to build an AMD-system, but I have little to no experience with AMD hardware (intel/nvidia-guy speaking!). From what I've read it should be fine, but just in case I would like to ask you guys here if you agree. :) This is what I have in mind not for a not top-notch but decent machine for office and some gaming-stuff:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 6x 3.60GHz
  • Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
  • Board: MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON
  • Other stuff: 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, more storage, ...

My main concerns are:

1. Match of CPU and GPU when it comes to gaming.
  2. Mainboard compatibility with the R5 and RX580.

What do you think? :)

3 minutes ago, Alchibiades said:

Hi there,

I try to build an AMD-system, but I have little to no experience with AMD hardware (intel/nvidia-guy speaking!). From what I've read it should be fine, but just in case I would like to ask you guys here if you agree. :) This is what I have in mind not for a not top-notch but decent machine for office and some gaming-stuff:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 6x 3.60GHz
  • Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
  • Board: MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON
  • Other stuff: 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, more storage, ...

My main concerns are:

1. Match of CPU and GPU when it comes to gaming.
  2. Mainboard compatibility with the R5 and RX580.

What do you think? :)

On your concerns your fine. Your motherboard tho is horrible. 300 series from msi are horrible. Get something in the 400 series or just from a different company. The x series arent really worth it becouse they only have a higher turbo clock. Get a nice cooler for the pricedifference. And what 580 are you getting?

Save cash on getting the r5 2600 instead.

Swap motherboard for the b450 Tomahawk.

Get a cooler like the dark rock 4 and overclock the CPU to 4,1-2ghz

Thanks for the feedback!

@LukeSavenije I do have the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB in mind. For now, I don't want to exceed that price point (~220 US$) very much.

As @KarathKasun indicated as well, what about a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro AMD B450?

3 minutes ago, Alchibiades said:

Thanks for the feedback!

@LukeSavenije I do have the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB in mind. For now, I don't want to exceed that price point (~220 US$) very much.

As @KarathKasun indicated as well, what about a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro AMD B450?

Sounds good to me. Just worried you would pick something like the msi aero with it.

16 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

AMD GPU's are so far behind at this point that any modern 4c/8t CPU should not limit them.

In what sense? The rx480/580 are on par with performance of the GTX 1060, at the same price point. The Vega 56 is on par with the 1070, at the same price point. What's far behind?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Sounds good to me. Just worried you would pick something like the msi aero with it.

Just interested, what would be wrong with it? :)

1 minute ago, Alchibiades said:

Just interested, what would be wrong with it? :)

The thermals are horrible. The aero design of that time was really bad. Not only for amd cards, also for nvidia's. Really not recommended. But the gigabyte one is one of the better ones, especially for your pricepoint. But xfx and sapphire are great too. Not saying msi is a bad company, but like every single tech company they make mistakes with some of their products

28 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In what sense? The rx480/580 are on par with performance of the GTX 1060, at the same price point. The Vega 56 is on par with the 1070, at the same price point. What's far behind?

What's far behind?  The fact that AMD is, at best, providing %65 of the performance of NV at the top end.  There is not an AMD GPU out now that would be significantly hampered by something like an i7-6700 or R5 2600.  Where you can't get a CPU fast enough to keep up with the upper end of NV's product stack.

20 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

What's far behind?  The fact that AMD is, at best, providing %65 of the performance of NV at the top end.  There is not an AMD GPU out now that would be significantly hampered by something like an i7-6700 or R5 2600.  Where you can't get a CPU fast enough to keep up with the upper end of NV's product stack.

The Vega 64 is comparable to the 1080 in performance, leaving only the 1080 ti and the titan (and now the 2080/ti in the current gen) uncontested. Ryzen 5 still wouldn't really bottleneck a Vega 64, the only problem with the card is the extra power draw to accomplish the same thing, and all the heat that comes with. AMD is a serious competitor though, and the 7nm launch will shake things up. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The Vega 64 is comparable to the 1080 in performance, leaving only the 1080 ti and the titan (and now the 2080/ti in the current gen) uncontested. Ryzen 5 still wouldn't really bottleneck a Vega 64, the only problem with the card is the extra power draw to accomplish the same thing, and all the heat that comes with. AMD is a serious competitor though, and the 7nm launch will shake things up. 

AMD is not a serious competitor for the next 6 months at least.

There are three tiers of performance above the fastest cards AMD can provide.  Not only that, but resources have been diverted away from PC GPU's in favor of console development.  And don't forget that NV also gets the same bump from 7nm.  You can't ignore the fact that AMD is now a second tier GPU provider, and has been for a while now.

I use some of their mid range GPU offerings because of price, but they come at a power usage and thermal compromise.  Their tech is behind, and it shows in realistic market prices (post crypto bubble).

Get a Ryzen 7 X1700 8 core, its cheaper and higher CPU count.

Also get a B450 Pro, same price but newer.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018