So my recent rebuild/reassembly has kinda been with out its trade mark glow as far as i'm concerned since it come back to life.

-Preamble-  Lead off, I'd say 4 or 5 years ago, maybe longer, in the early days of my system of w/c parts.  i added in dual UV cold cathodes. was satisfied with results and some minor tests (parallel wires, three cathode on a dual inverter)  with mixed results in all mods with zero useful results, longer wires made resistance go up in the dc/ac inverter and thus less shine,  adding the short tube that came with a helix res i got on the cheap for awhile  i grew fond of both long tubes and tried adding the short tube in series  and also got negative  results, so in the end i opted for the shirt tube and long tube and when the short one in teh res died i just added the long one back in. eventually broke one of the innards tube dk even when it happened so i ran one for the last few years, and then i noticed no lights before i had a RMA issue with the mobo...   while it was down i tested the tube on both inverter plugs and with no results the tube either went kaput or the inverter....---preamble over--

Got 2/3 the replacement light thingies ordered as replacement.   less than stellar but mediocre casting from the Phoyba Led flex strip, and  useless Logisys LIE uv thing not even worth making useable, since it didnt even come wired for pc use, just two bare wires that need 5V and - after investigation since its also not mentioned anywhere...  

g1/4 uv plug should at least do ait job better than the logysis garbage. But this leave me with a precarious spot where i need more lights now.  and TBH  the LED's dont cut it.  i am not sure why they get such high recommendations. even these  would need extenders to really wire manage them with out compromising the light placement (phyoba).

Taking all that into consideration let me speak from my own experience here.  while adding in the perhaps annoying step of connecting the inverter into the loop,  the light created by the cold cathode is just inherently better quality.  the amount of actual energy used to power the typically extra low amp small tube ccfl technology is quite low. and where a single dual tube kit lit my case up well before . i feel that these strips i would need to buy 2-3 more and  that would negate any cost/energy benefit in my opinion. 

please keep in mind that my aim in this entire lifetime adventure has not been lighting the interior so much as making use to the various UV fluid's i have used over the years.

I would never add a non-uv light to the interior scheme of my system,  While nice it just my cup of tea,coffee or whatever you drink of choice it.

Unless some one can direct me in the ways of a better option i will be replacing the down and out tube system   

Any one recommend a better UV Led, or other system from first hand experience?

Led.jpg

Cathode.jpg

5 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

-SNIP-

For UV LED's unless they use high quality LED chips they will always be different from cold cathodes. For a nice UV LED option the rigid lights from Darkside are some of the best I've seen. 

http://www.performance-pcs.com/darkside-connect-dimmable-12-modular-led-strip-uv-rev4-balanced.html#!prettyPhoto

3 hours ago, W-L said:

For a nice UV LED option the rigid lights from Darkside are some of the best I've seen. 

Thanks, i heard recommendations for them once upon a time too,  but i got what i did because of being easier to source.

price is basically the same for either kit, from what i have investigated.    So unless you have a picture or can get one from some one using those strips, i think i will get  replacement cathode kit.   (easier to source and no USD conversion fee)

5 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

Thanks, i heard recommendations for them once upon a time too,  but i got what i did because of being easier to source.

price is basically the same for either kit, from what i have investigated.    So unless you have a picture or can get one from some one using those strips, i think i will get  replacement cathode kit.   (easier to source and no USD conversion fee)

If your in Canada Dazmode has them, here's an example of their UV effect. 

https://www.dazmode.com/store/shop/lights/12-30cm-darkside-connect-dimmable-rigid-led-strip-uv-rev4/

Spoiler

55ad8ed72189a1.14464848.jpg

55ad8ed7a1b947.61226079.jpg

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If your in Canada Dazmode has them, here's an example of their UV effect. 

Thanks, signed up for email notif a month or two ago.   zero options available for sale ( dazmode)

i may search ali-exp to see if i can order one directly from china to show up eventually.

Just now, Neo-revo said:

Thanks, signed up for email notif a month or two ago.   zero options available for sale ( dazmode)

i may search ali-exp to see if i can order one directly from china to show up eventually.

Try directly contacting them they are usually around to provide some details on resupplying times. 

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

resupplying times. 

thanks again, i will email them one day since contact us is not working for me at the moment.

16 hours ago, W-L said:

UV effect.

so i was just cleaning up a little and stuff, and saw the can of stuff i used, and apparently i didn't even use the clear UV one, so i added is some UV dye and got to say its not as bad: still not as bright as i would like , but better since it can actually react now, derp

IMG_20181028_083406991.jpg

@W-L two more, and just waiting on a replacement plug, thats arcylic and has 2 UV LED in it, we'll see should be here on monday.

IMG_20181102_193758061.jpg

IMG_20181102_193805523.jpg

12 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

@W-L two more, and just waiting on a replacement plug, thats arcylic and has 2 UV LED in it, we'll see should be here on monday.

That glow effect looks a lot better than initially.  Maybe if it's not too long hide one behind the res to see if it gives it a nice effect. 

Also I didn't realize this before is that fan over top of the CPU just for some extra airflow for the VRM?

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That glow effect looks a lot better than initially.  Maybe if it's not too long hide one behind the res to see if it give it effect. 

Also I didn't realize this before is that fan over top of the CPU just for some extra airflow for the VRM?

yes, i laser read the temps with a gun, when i hard froze, trying to figure out what caused it,  reallllllly freaking hot, like 120c

i have 5 40x10 pwm noctua, i like the white blade look  that fan gives, so i think i might paint them in the same white black scheme Plan is to make a L, and put them directly over the VRM/mosfet/nb heatsink thing.

And i ordered this

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FMYQ16M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i think that will do be enough to finish it off,  if it doenst work so good i haven't taped the LED's down so i can move them about still

small fans so i can appreciate the OLED screen the Cuplex Cryos NEXT .925 edition i just upgraded too.

Also i attribute the heat to high voltages for the 5.1 9590 and being able to max out both gpu/cpu for long times with out heat issue,  and the lack of CPU heatsink airflow causes VRM ot spike,  that exhaust is also turned around as  intake near the I/O

1 minute ago, Neo-revo said:

-SNIP-

That's pretty toasty, wouldn't want to go any higher than that on VRM with it being at max operating temps. It's quite a hassle but one could watercool the VRM, just need to find a mini VRM block that fits or can be easily modified. That CPU and voltages would explain the heat output! ?

Those LED plug lights are pretty ok, but depending on the type of LED they use sometimes the light will be narrow like a column of light or spread really wide but not throw as far. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

That's pretty toasty, wouldn't want to go any higher than that on VRM with it being at max operating temps. It's quite a hassle but one could watercool the VRM, just need to find a mini VRM block that fits or can be easily modified. That CPU and voltages would explain the heat output! ?

Those LED plug lights are pretty ok, but depending on the type of LED they use sometimes the light will be narrow like a column of light or spread really wide but not throw as far. 

thanks for the info, i wiont expect too much, but if it helps enough that i can justify leaving it plugged in YAY.

haven't looked into the specific lengths id need but the  EK one that i cant find anywhere, used/new for the mobo is aa replacement for the mobo native one, and it has 2 Bar's the vertical is maybe 33% longer,  not quite a perftct L shape with a Square shape at the bottom.

i'd need to do alot of modding if i cant find a EK block, so thats kind of why im opting to airflow ATM< unless i can get the actual block, or wait till i can monoblock a ryzen series chip/mobo  idkdsc_1238_800.jpg

2 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

thanks for the info, i wiont expect too much, but if it helps enough that i can justify leaving it plugged in YAY.

haven't looked into the specific lengths id need but the  EK one that i cant find anywhere, used/new for the mobo is aa replacement for the mobo native one, and it has 2 Bar's the vertical is maybe 33% longer,  not quite a perftct L shape with a Square shape at the bottom.

i'd need to do alot of modding if i cant find a EK block, so thats kind of why im opting to airflow ATM< unless i can get the actual block, or wait till i can monoblock a ryzen series chip/mobo  idk

I'd say go for ryzen unless you find a used block on the cheap or want to spend some time modding something. Ideally you don't want VRM to get to 100C for longevity as most are rated for around 125C max. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

I'd say go for ryzen unless you find a used block on the cheap or want to spend some time modding something. Ideally you don't want VRM to get to 100C for longevity as most are rated for around 125C max. 

for the moment ill stick to air,  they dont get so hot, perhaps normal temps,  with directed air flow over them,

i kinda lied, i could buy it new for like 305AED (dihram: UAE dollar)  i just dont know if i want to order it or not.  

at this point this mobo is Brand new,   the USB3/ethernet chip just decided to die a few months ago, and after a headache from forgetting the CPU bracket the first time, i eventually got a replacement in-warranty from ASUS.

gives me time to save up for the mobo/cpu/ram id need minimum to upgrade, (honestly though i think thats all i'd buy)- video card can come later, these 290X are no where close to done/not cutting it.