Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MacBook Pro 13" 2018 Random Flickers

Early this month, I got my MBP2018 13" base model, which after 4 days, already has USB ports not working, so I got it replaced the same day.

So, the 2nd macbook, after getting it, I had it updated to Mojave the next day.

Installed apps like Chrome and VSCode.

Then while browsing, I noticed the screen flickers randomly, using Chrome or Safari.

I searched for the possible problems and solutions, so I tried resetting SMC and NVRAM, both didn't fixed the problem.

Tried installing Mojave Beta 3, hoping it will be fixed there, but no luck.

Tried rolling back to High Sierra, same issue.

So, reinstalled Mojave... from there I setup bootcamp for Windows10.

And for some reason, it NEVER flickers on bootcamp! ?

Another thing I notice, while watching videos from Netflix or Youtube, the flickers never happens,

but when I pause it or the video stopped, after few minutes or even seconds sometimes, the flicker goes back.

The flickers are not that bad at all, it's like when you blink your eyes, it's tolerable, but for a machine this expensive, I'm expecting a more smooth experience.

What do you think of this problem? Driver or OS issues?

Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks!

Update: Added screen shots from video recording. notice that even the dock flickered.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_51.jpg

Update 2:

So aside from bootcamp, the flicker also doesn't happen on Safe Mode or Recovery Mode. 

Apple Diagnostics also doesn't found any problem plain.png

Update Nov11: Just an update, the store replaced the display, and so far... no flickers. :|

Edited by jhz!

No clue what's wrong, but just get a replacement. I presume it's still under warranty since it's only a few days old, right?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No clue what's wrong, but just get a replacement. I presume it's still under warranty since it's only a few days old, right?

you're right, the thing is, I needed this for work so I initially tried to solve it myself first...I got this replacement last Oct7.

Just now, jhz! said:

you're right, the thing is, I needed this for work so I initially tried to solve it myself first...I got this replacement last Oct7.

Ah, I understand. Sorry to break it to you, but I know nothing about Macs...you might have to have someone else help you with this one?

Any chance we could get a video? Maybe I can at least try and identify where the problem is coming from.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ah, I understand. Sorry to break it to you, but I know nothing about Macs...you might have to have someone else help you with this one?

Any chance we could get a video? Maybe I can at least try and identify where the problem is coming from.

it randomly flickers so I don't know when will it happen exactly, I just stated the scenarios when it usually happens, let's see if other people has idea with this or encounters the same problem. thank you very much for the help. I will attach a video if I had the chance.

Update: Added screen shots from video recording. notice that even the dock flickered.

Well, I guess I'll have to bring this to the store again.... ?

Update: 

So aside from bootcamp, the flicker also doesn't happen on Safe Mode or Recovery Mode. 

Apple Diagnostics also doesn't found any problem plain.png

Interesting, I've never seen this issue with a MBP other than when hacking BootCamp to allow an eGPU to power the internal display. It definitely seems like a MacOS specific issue. Perhaps try wiping the boot drive through the recovery mode and reinstalling MacOS? I know its a lot of hassle so either that or go for your 2nd replacement at the Apple Store. Highly unusual. 

12 hours ago, thorpyworpy said:

Interesting, I've never seen this issue with a MBP other than when hacking BootCamp to allow an eGPU to power the internal display. It definitely seems like a MacOS specific issue. Perhaps try wiping the boot drive through the recovery mode and reinstalling MacOS? I know its a lot of hassle so either that or go for your 2nd replacement at the Apple Store. Highly unusual. 

thanks for the response, I already tried wiping the boot drive and reinstalling Mojave(or I think it's High Sierra) via internet. still happens. what I find weird is that this never happens on bootcamp and safe mode, and also when playing videos, like from youtube or netflix.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Nov11: Just an update, the store replaced the display, and so far... no flickers. :|

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 10:21 AM, jhz! said:

Good to hear. Glad they finally resolved it for you (so far).