Dead DIMM slots

babarnette

I need a little help troubleshooting a problem that popped up last night.  Last night while playing a game my computer hard locked and I had to flip the switch on the power supply to turn it off (neither the reset or power buttons on the case were responsive).  When rebooting the computer hung on error code C1 then it power cycled on its own.  I looked up C1 online and saw it was a memory error.  Since both the CPU and RAM are overclocked I reset the BIOS to factory defaults and tried again with the same results.  I started removing RAM and finally got it to post with one stick in the third slot and got into the BIOS to confirm that it was reset to factory defaults.  I rebooted and got into Windows.  I shut it down and added a stick to the fourth DIMM slot and again it posted and booted into Windows.  Adding a stick to either the first or second DIMM slots results in the C1 error code and power cycle.  I confirmed all four RAM sticks were good in another machine and tried booting this machine with the RAM from the other machine with the same C1 results with a stick placed in either the first or second DIMM slots.  So basically I can only boot this machine with the RAM installed in single channel only mode.  What are the chances it's a problem with the motherboard and what are the chances that it's a problem with the IMC on the CPU?  Unfortunately, I can't pull the CPU in the other machine to test this one because the other machine is a Ryzen system and this is an Intel system.  This machine is also custom water cooled with hardline tubing so swapping/reseating the CPU is a bit of a PITA so I wanted to get some other input before I drained the loop and tore it down.  Here are the specs of the machine before the problem started:  i7 8700K 5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL 14, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370 motherboard.  I'll also include a screenshot with additional info.  Thanks in advance!

44662635_10210252944634980_2248727116772278272_o.jpg

Try to boot at stock settings.

Haven't completely read your wall of text tho, it's quite difficult...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Everything is at stock settings now, that was the first thing I tried.

Can you run at a frequency lower than the rated speed but higher than stock?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I can enable XMP on slots 3 and 4, but I have tried manually setting the RAM speed in BIOS to anything other than DDR4 stock spec and the XMP profile (the XMP profile is DDR4 3200 CL 14 and it is Samsung B-Die).  The issue persists with either setting though.

I figured it out, my CPU water block started leaking and there was coolant in the MB socket.  I flooded the socket with isopropyl alcohol and dried it out with a heat gun.  After cleaning the CPU and replacing the gasket in the water block all is good.