Some help with setting up SLI with dual GTX 1070 ti cards

MGSPhilly

Greetings....first post!

Have a gaming 5 MSI motherboard, 3 potential slots for the two cards.  Where would be optimal to place them?  Somewhat concerned about using the uppermost slot as it would vent right up into the coolermaster heat sink.

The lower slot of three is just above the EVGA Gold+ 650 PSU which faces down with a special vent filter (nice extra from Antec case).  Any suggestions?  And was also wondering what bridge I would need, like the Nvidia HD bridge..which is theoretically producing smoother frames and less stuttering with the SLI setup.  Or can I use the Intel bridge....they're pushing (Nvidia is) the HD for obvious reasons, don't really know the reality of it!

Many thanks for reading, best of luck all

MGSPhilly

If you're doing this for next-gen gaming... i got some bad news for you...

space them out as far as you can while remaining on the CPU's PCIe lanes and get good airflow to the front of the card. Not all of the PCIe x16 slots are wired directly to the CPU. 

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, MGSPhilly said:

Greetings....first post!

Have a gaming 5 MSI motherboard, 3 potential slots for the two cards.  Where would be optimal to place them?  Somewhat concerned about using the uppermost slot as it would vent right up into the coolermaster heat sink.

The lower slot of three is just above the EVGA Gold+ 650 PSU which faces down with a special vent filter (nice extra from Antec case).  Any suggestions?  And was also wondering what bridge I would need, like the Nvidia HD bridge..which is theoretically producing smoother frames and less stuttering with the SLI setup.  Or can I use the Intel bridge....they're pushing (Nvidia is) the HD for obvious reasons, don't really know the reality of it!

MGSPhilly

you should take a look at the MoBo slot specs in your MoBo manual. for my Motherboard which is a Rampage Vi Extreme from ASUS, the first and third slots are preferred so thermals aren't all that matter.

I would generally go with the Nvidia bridge.

Just now, knightslugger said:

If you're going this for next-gen gaming... i got some bad news for you...

space them out as far as you can while remaining on the CPU's PCIe lanes and get good airflow to the front of the card. Not all of the PCIe x16 slots are wired directly to the CPU. 

^^^ More spacing is better, though as long as there is one slot between them you should be fine. I have SLI EVGA 1080 SCs with one slot spacing on a Crosshair VII. It's inside an Enthoo Evolv with 3x 120mm fans in the front, and my bottom GPU stays around 66C (the normal max for an EVGA SC in my experience), and the top one hits 74C or so, haven't seen them break the 80C barrier yet so you should be fine (even in games like Mass Effect Andromeda and Battleforont 2015 which do 98% scaling or so). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Shanhara said:

you should take a look at the MoBo slot specs in your MoBo manual. for my Motherboard which is a Rampage Vi Extreme from ASUS, the first and third slots are preferred so thermals aren't all that matter.

I would generally go with the Nvidia bridge.

Defo get a high bandwidth bridge, though the Nvidia ones seem to be overpriced. I have an EVGA one, and the ASUS and MSI ones get good reviews as well. Some mobos even include a basic HB bridge, my Crosshair VII did. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

If you're going this for next-gen gaming... i got some bad news for you...

Depends on the cooler style for your card. If you're using a blower style, it's fine if they are close but if you're using anything else, keep them as far away from each other for bettert airflow. If the 1070ti s you're using are the founders' cards, you can keep them together.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Defo get a high bandwidth bridge, though the Nvidia ones seem to be overpriced. I have an EVGA one, and the ASUS and MSI ones get good reviews as well. Some mobos even include a basic HB bridge, my Crosshair VII did. 

hell i got a HB bridge from Asus with my X370 Prime board... used it once on a pair of 1070 FTWs. i got single 1070 performance from a 2016 title.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

hell i got a HB bridge from Asus with my X370 Prime board... used it once on a pair of 1070 FTWs. i got single 1070 performance from a 2016 title.

Which title? I get worse performance in Destiny 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider than with a single card, and both boast SLI support (with tweaks ROTTR *should* do 98-99% scaling). Then in two other titles that support SLI, ME:Andromeda and Battlefront 2015, it runs without a hitch. SLI seems to be pretty quirky in my limited experience so far. 

Main PC 

Prolly be limited on options for the placement. As wide as you can go, with blowers you’ll be much better and save the rest of the components form suffering. 

Just look at the manual and go from there. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 5 years later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:56 PM, MGSPhilly said:

Greetings....first post!

MGSPhilly

Many years back workstation 2 dual core xeons one 2 gb card 6-7 hundred question how it will work in sli k .. some site said these cards support sli and u can sli them with this code some nr and leters 20-30 codes every for 2- 3 not consecutive cards.. now im looking with what card i can sli 1070ti all i found are EMPTY FREAKING WORDS. And i never slied the card back then it was working amazing anyway where is the net that u can use? We need it u know?