PC upgrade help!

Zero158adf
Go to solution Solved by Zero158adf,
Just now, emosun said:

Don't worry about it. i too didn't understand sarcasm very well when i was in middle school but hang in there little buddy you'll get it. :)

When forums are your only thing left^

Ok, so I am upgrading from my GTX 980 to a GTX 1080. What is the best GTX 1080 I can buy that is under $650? Thanks!

Just now, emosun said:

thats not going to be a very big upgrade for 650$

from a 980?? I think so

With 700$, you can probably get a 1080 ti. As for best 1080s, EVGA FTW/FTW2, MSI Gaming X, ASUS Strix, and Zotac AMP! are all very good. Gigabyte 3 fans are also good. Get the cheapest. Currently it is the Zotac amp.

They are all very strong, Overclocking will be limited by pascal.

Just now, emosun said:

Double vram, more cuda, gddr5x, etc.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

wow so literally twice the speed then huh? amazing , here i thought it wasn't going to look like 650$ worth of difference at all.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

wow so literally twice the speed then huh? amazing , here i thought it wasn't going to look like 650$ worth of difference at all.

Yeah the newer gen cards are amazing!

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

4 minutes ago, Zero158adf said:

from a 980?? I think so

I mean it is better, no doubt.  Should be ~30% or so I think, depending on the game (+/- 15% I'd say)

Maybe I just don't like to upgrade as often but I've spent a lot less on a much larger multiple before is all.

As for the best one, the guidance is usually to get one of the cheaper ones you can find (excluding blower cards).  You can end up paying quite a lot more for a "fancy" one that doesn't really perform that differently to the cheap one, especially after overclocking, and at that point you might be better just making the jump to a cheaper version of the next card up (1080Ti in this case)

As for the best prices, PCPP is generally pretty good at tracking stuff down:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean it is better, no doubt.  Should be ~30% or so I think, depending on the game (+/- 15% I'd say)

Maybe I just don't like to upgrade as often but I've spent a lot less on a much larger multiple before is all.

As for the best one, the guidance is usually to get one of the cheaper ones you can find (excluding blower cards).  You can end up paying quite a lot more for a "fancy" one that doesn't really perform that differently to the cheap one, especially after overclocking, and at that point you might be better just making the jump to a cheaper version of the next card up (1080Ti in this case)

As for the best prices, PCPP is generally pretty good at tracking stuff down:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

Sweet, thanks

2 minutes ago, Zero158adf said:

When you literally dont understand sarcasm

Don't worry about it. i too didn't understand sarcasm very well when i was in middle school but hang in there little buddy you'll get it. :)

Just now, emosun said:

When forums are your only thing left^

58 minutes ago, Zero158adf said:

I am upgrading from my GTX 980 to a GTX 1080. What is the best GTX 1080 I can buy that is under $650? Thanks!

This ons is 459$ in the US at Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133633&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

56 minutes ago, emosun said:

?! the GTX 1080 is over 60% faster than a GTX 980, and it's an 8GB GDDR5X card...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/2576vs3603

Also, it's not like hes taking his GTX 980 and trowing it into the lake...he can probably get 250$ for it or something...so it's not a 650$ upgrade...

55 minutes ago, Zero158adf said:

from a 980?? I think so

48 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

GTX 1080 is over 60% faster than a GTX 980, and it's an 8GB GDDR5X card...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/2576vs3603

And in VR it's even more than that..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

GTX 1080 is over 60% faster than a GTX 980, and it's an 8GB GDDR5X card...

And in VR it's even more than that..

Your own link (which btw is the same page I used) shows that it averages about 30% in games

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Your own link (which btw is the same page I used) shows that it averages about 30% in games

i wouldnt use that site for video game performance though as we don't have any idea what any of tests are about...what settings were used, what test bench etc...which driver? you see...

also, It's got to be more than that because i saw 30% going from a 980ti (yes Ti) to GTX 1080.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i dont think they know the whole "benchmarks aren't games" thing

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i wouldnt use that site for video game performance though as we don't have any idea what any of tests are about...what settings where used, what test bench etc...which driver? you see...

also, It's got to be more than that because i saw 30% going from a 980ti (yes Ti) to GTX 1080.

Well they do list the setup used.  For example:

image.png.55f403dddc5c2d9593f6da6c96d9c306.png

I regardless would be equally weary of investing too much faith in those random synthetics.  God only knows how much "peak overclocked Force Splatted Flocking" actually equates to fps in bettlefield.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

God only knows how much "peak overclocked Force Splatted Flocking" actually equates to fps in bettlefield.

a lot more than 30%

b1_2560.png

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-1-test-gpu

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That says 65%, if I calculated correctly.  The userbenchmark link says 48, but that was at a different res and possibly different settings.

The 1080p results work out to 50%.  Pretty close.

image.png.70c9181012998263f44e5c234e8fc816.png

I would be interested in comparing other benchmarks you find though.  Definitely never hurts to sanity check something to see if it should be avoided or if you could save a lot of time by using it over a collection of others.

my ROG strix 1070 ti is doing great for a 1070 ti so I would suggest taking the ROG strix 1080 (maybe ti)

we are talking about gtx 980 non ti
to gtx 1080
I see it worth the upgrade , specially if you plan to play new games that really need more vram, remember we are talking about 980 which is only 4GB vram you will see a lot of games with ultra settings on 1080p use 4.5+GB ram so the 980 is slow and the vram will limit his settings.
1080 is good upgrade for 1080p and for 1440p it is a must upgrade in my opinion because 980 can't run give you good visuals for many games on 1440p