Do i have to connect PSU to ground the case?

marviinn

If i'm gonna build a PC without an ESD-band, do i need to screw in the PSU first, then connect it to a grounded outlet so i can ground myself by touching the case? If so, do i also have to flip the switch to ON state?

None of that is needed

but honestly you seem worried so why not just spend $5 on an anti-static bracelet

if not well just touch the case every 3 mins or so and you're good (not 100% reliable though)

Static is a danger to PC parts but static damage is really uncommon. I've built a PC on a carpeted floor and I made it out alright :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Static is a danger to PC parts but static damage is really uncommon. I've built a PC on a carpeted floor and I made it out alright :P

I see that you like to live dangerously :P

As for the original post, I think the whole static thing gets played up a lot to make sure that new adopters don't damage anything. The risk is real of course, but if you use common sense, you should be fine. Kind of ironic now, but I too, have built PC's on a carpet (not my choice), and watched others build on a carpet. Nothing bad has happened yet so...

I never get shocks from doors and things, so that may be a reason why.

I'm actually not worried, i was just wondering if i need to plug the PSU to the outlet to make the chassi grounded, or if it's enough to only touch the case now and then :D

i always put the psu in the case then plug in the psu (Not power it on at the mains) then tap it every so often

Character artist in the Games industry.

I've built a computer on carpet before too. ESD is very uncommon. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Safest bet is to have the PSU in the case, plugged in (BUT NOT SWITCHED ON) and then just strap yourself to the case or tap it every once in a while