Philips Also Debuts 28-inch 4K Ultra HD Monitor

snowComet

Wait a sec, so this is basically the same as that dell 4k monitor, so why is $500 more expensive, there is no reason for that and dell has better service and premium prices due to their premium services, im quite confused.

Also i highly doubt that rubbish about there being a 10 bit TN panel, thats just stupid.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I really don't understand the brouhaha over 4k gaming.  For desktop work, 4k makes tons of sense.  Unless money is no object, 4k gaming is impractical currently.  A GTX Titan struggles to drive games at playable frame rates at that resolution.  You need a minimum of two to game comfortably.

Minimum of two, that's no problem at all. If that IS a problem you shouldn't be looking at $1200 monitors.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

VGA + 4k + TN + 10bit ? Isn't that a big pile of BS?

4k + 10bit, good.

4k + TN, could be better.

4k + VGA, stupidity.

VGA + 10bit, not sure if this works.

TN + 10bit, not conviced.

I mean, common, philips has retired from cheap monitors/TVs market, and now this?

And to add with this (as if it wasn't already enough)

TN is there to meet visual demands of powerusers?

It never mentioned thata vga would support 4k. It just said that it has it, and I don't see the problem with that. My 1440p monitor has vga. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I remember Wendell saying as much.  I'm not sure how 1440p would look better on a 4k panel than on one that is native 1440p.  If you have a lower resolution, and you stretch it to a higher resolution, data is not added to the picture.  It's still the same number of pixels.  They're just larger.

278202651.jpg

(1280 x 720)

attachicon.gifstretched 720p.jpg

(1920 x 1080)

You might have to save the 1080p version for it to display properly.

1080p with 1:1 pixel scaling.....

Edit: linus has agreed countless times.

It never mentioned thata vga would support 4k. It just said that it has it, and I don't see the problem with that. My 1440p monitor has vga. . .

I understand, but my point is:

If you are going to put a 4k monitor on the market for premium prices, why still bother with a VGA connector?

Linus said himself: "VGA needs to die", And he's right, VGA is way outdated, we now have 3 different standards: HDMI (the worst of all three), DVI (the oldest, bulkiest and strongest), DisplayPort...

And anyway, Philips is making a very bad move if they release this monitor... Dell has much better options on 4k monitors right now, quality as well as price wise...

I'm Dutch, and I love Philips (Dutch Company), but this is just wrong.

Better luck next time ;)

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

1080p with 1:1 pixel scaling.....

Edit: linus has agreed countless times.

Let me see if I understand.  Since the 4K display is precisely four times Full HD, the display can interpret what the missing pixels are supposed to be?  This would be similar to frame interpolation on high refresh rate TVs, which creates a much smoother picture than the original source, no?

My PC specifications are in my profile.