Noctua fans in pull make a whirring/humming noise

yea see if you can return it I think its just that rad since all different fans are doing it. Also a good alternative to corsair fans are the bitfenix ones. I personally dont like and cant recommend the corsair ones.

The Spectre pro's are laughable fans for rads. Avoid like herpes. Massive gaps between the blades and frame and gaps between the blades make it very poor for rad use

Alpenfohn PWM WB's,AP-15's....all very good fans indeed. Recommended.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Use a 5-10mm shroud to lift the fan away from the rad,this will cure the whirring noise....

I really dont know why Noctuas are recommended for Rads...they are crap.

that kinda what I was recommening with the gasket but I guess I meant shrowd. I have some nice ones that im using in my ITX build. I preferred them because they wernt acrylic or foam, neither of which seem good for that sort of thing to me. it also does com in a 140mm I believe but youd have to look.

And your spouting crap because when noctua fan are used in their correct use cases their quite good. Their only static pressure optimized fan in the NF-F12 as I stated before and there are not too many companies out there that currently have a 140mm static pressure fan since they have only stated being used mainly for about a year and a half or so over 120mm fans.

The Spectre pro's are laughable fans for rads. Avoid like herpes. Massive gaps between the blades and frame and gaps between the blades make it very poor for rad use

Alpenfohn PWM WB's,AP-15's....all very good fans indeed. Recommended.

And I think the corsair fan a laughable in general i was suggestion something around the same price point that is easily accessible in the same price bracket or lower when compared to the corsairs.

I should also mention I have never heard of the brand or fans you just mentioned. It looks like their a german company and likely dont distribute outside of the EU at best, which would explain why I havnt heard of them being in the US.

that kinda what I was recommening with the gasket but I guess I meant shrowd. I have some nice ones that im using in my ITX build. I preferred them because they wernt acrylic or foam, neither of which seem good for that sort of thing to me. it also does com in a 140mm I believe but youd have to look.

And your spouting crap because when noctua fan are used in their correct use cases their quite good. Their only static pressure optimized fan in the NF-F12 as I stated before and there are not too many companies out there that currently have a 140mm static pressure fan since they have only stated being used mainly for about a year and a half or so over 120mm fans.

Noctua are not good rad fans,good silent case fans but crap on rads.

This is common knowledge,just because this forum seems to have a hard on for them doesnt make them good.

Also,spellchecker,learn to use it.

120 fans with an adapter perform much better than most 140 fans.

Proof?

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/120mm_and_140mm_fan_comparison,18.html

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

And I think the corsair fan a laughable in general i was suggestion something around the same price point that is easily accessible in the same price bracket or lower when compared to the corsairs.

I should also mention I have never heard of the brand or fans you just mentioned. It looks like their a german company and likely dont distribute outside of the EU at best, which would explain why I havnt heard of them being in the US.

Again,you are wrong,the WC guys on OCN have no trouble getting them.

Noctua are not good rad fans,good silent case fans but crap on rads.

This is common knowledge,just because this forum seems to have a hard on for them doesnt make them good.

Also,spellchecker,learn to use it.

120 fans with an adapter perform much better than most 140 fans.

Proof?

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/120mm_and_140mm_fan_comparison,18.html

Those are probably more typing errors than spelling mistakes

yes 120mm will preform better because there are not that many 140mm pressure optimized fans as I said twice now

Again,you are wrong,the WC guys on OCN have no trouble getting them.

please link me a place where I can purchase them in the US then. because a quick initial google search shows nothing which is why I said that.

@B NEGATIVE If you want something that not quiet optimized and has a bunch of static pressure and airflow look at the Scythe Gentle Typhoon High Speeds.

I've now come to a different conclusion. I tried the fans in my case, exhausting out the top, with the fan mount being in front of the fan intake (its a bar that goes across the case and blocks it slightly) and it made the whirring noise there too, and thats with the top and side panels removed so it was pretty much completely open. I also tried putting a simple dust filter in front of it, made the noise. Perhaps these fans just do not like anything blocking/restricting their intake.

Desktop: Intel i7-4770k, 2 x AMD R9 290's, Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Switch 810 Matte Black, Corsair RM1000, 250GB + 120GB OCZ SSD, 3TB Seagate. Custom watercooled with EK CPU & GPU blocks, XSPC 360 rad & pump top, D5 Vario pump, HW Labs Black ICE GTX 120 + 240 rads, Corsair SP120's + Noctua NF-F12's.

Home Server: Intel i5-4690, Gigabyte D85M-HD3, 8GB Corsair RAM, 60GB Corsair SSD, 3 x 4TB WD Red drives (RAID5), BitFenix Phenom (Midnight Black / mATX), Be Quiet L8 350w PSU.

@B NEGATIVE If you want something that not quiet optimized and has a bunch of static pressure and airflow look at the Scythe Gentle Typhoon High Speeds.

Tried them. Good but loud

If you want superior rad performance then 38mm Kaze's and the like are a far better purchase.

If you can stand the noise that is.

I've now come to a different conclusion. I tried the fans in my case, exhausting out the top, with the fan mount being in front of the fan intake (its a bar that goes across the case and blocks it slightly) and it made the whirring noise there too, and thats with the top and side panels removed so it was pretty much completely open. I also tried putting a simple dust filter in front of it, made the noise. Perhaps these fans just do not like anything blocking/restricting their intake.

NF-A14's? the design should be any different than the NF-A14 PWM's and ive used them without any problems in two builds here is one that I did for a friend

IMG_6899.jpg

here is probably a better pic to see the fans

IMG_5616-w.jpg

there are NF-A14 PWM's in the front and top and a NF-S12A PWM in the back as an intake with a filter. Its super quiet and stays well withing thermal limits.

It's not only noctula, all fans create lo pressure turbulence between blades and fins in pull config. The corsair SP series have less noticeable noise in this case. It's better to have push. Noctula for the win if going for push.

Tried them. Good but loud

If you want superior rad performance then 38mm Kaze's and the like are a far better purchase.

If you can stand the noise that is.

The 3000rpm ones that I have in my ITX rig arnt that loud at full but I also modded them to be PWM so at idel their at like 800rpm which is noticeable but definitely tolerable for only having 2 (well 3 I modded a thin 140mm in also) to cool the system.

I have had those way back in my server. The moved a bunch of air but didnt have much pressure behind them as others. They were also far louder from what I remember than the gentle typhoon high speeds at least the ones I have. The 4250rpm and especially the 5400rpm 9which as far as I can tell isnt produced anymore) might be different. But yes the gentle Typhoon high speeds have to run at a higher speed than other fans to put out the same flow and pressure but they seem to be the equivalent loudness or less, it kind of weird. The scythe slipstreams more a bunch of air for their size as well but there is almost no pressure as far as i can tell backing it up, they are very much a air flow optimized fan.

Perhaps its a fault with the fans if they are fine for other people? But they definitely have issues for me if the intake gets restricted at all.

Desktop: Intel i7-4770k, 2 x AMD R9 290's, Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Switch 810 Matte Black, Corsair RM1000, 250GB + 120GB OCZ SSD, 3TB Seagate. Custom watercooled with EK CPU & GPU blocks, XSPC 360 rad & pump top, D5 Vario pump, HW Labs Black ICE GTX 120 + 240 rads, Corsair SP120's + Noctua NF-F12's.

Home Server: Intel i5-4690, Gigabyte D85M-HD3, 8GB Corsair RAM, 60GB Corsair SSD, 3 x 4TB WD Red drives (RAID5), BitFenix Phenom (Midnight Black / mATX), Be Quiet L8 350w PSU.

The a14's are not rad optimized the f12's are. Noctua doesnt have a 140mm fan thats rad optimzed (static pressure) yet, actually not many companies do and I cant think of one off the top of my head. I would have probably gotten push pull for a rad that thick. Also the pwm a14's are a whole 300rpm fastee but since their the same fan have the same specs at 1200rpm.

just so nobody gets to excited about this and f-12's, I have both of the fans in questions in my system and the a14's are the quieter ones.  and this is comparing 3 a14's to 2 f12's

to OP, the only way to really have quiet fans is to turn down the speed.  nobody makes a magic fan that spin's at 2000 rpm and is whisper quiet.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

just so nobody gets to excited about this and f-12's, I have both of the fans in questions in my system and the a14's are the quieter ones.  and this is comparing 3 a14's to 2 f12's

to OP, the only way to really have quiet fans is to turn down the speed.  nobody makes a magic fan that spin's at 2000 rpm and is whisper quiet.

Never was I talking about NF-F12's vs NF-A14's noise wise and thats not really the issue he is encountering.

Never was I talking about NF-F12's vs NF-A14's noise wise and thats not really the issue he is encountering.

part of the title is "whirring/humming noise"... this thread is about noise.  your post could be interpreted as saying that the f12's would be quieter on a rad than the a14, I was just clearing that up incase someone made that leap

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

I've tried a few fans, and the nf-f12's performed best at 1000 rpm with the lowest noise. So whoever is claiming that nf-f12 are a bad rad fan, your argument is invalid.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

I've tried a few fans, and the nf-f12's performed best at 1000 rpm with the lowest noise. So whoever is claiming that nf-f12 are a bad rad fan, your argument is invalid.

I'm in no way saying the f12 is a bad fan (but I do think its over hyped for what it is), just saying the a14 (and so are my eloops, but those dont work in pull) in my system are quieter at every rpm

for OP, here's a vid that compares a bunch of fans in pull on a rad.  not exactly too scientific, but it gives you a decent idea of how they compare to each other...

2 parts