Do I need more RAM?

I just built my first computer, with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and 8GB of dual channel memory. Because I'm using the integrated GPU in the 2200G i have to have part of the memory (2GB) dedicated to the GPU. But some games that I'm playing when they boot up use all of my memory with only steam and task manager open, do I need more RAM or once I get a discrete GPU will the memory issue fix itself?

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

i have to have part of the memory (2GB) dedicated to the GPU.

Don't set this to 2g, set it to like 64M. The driver will use more ram if needed.

What is ram useage like? Is the system paging?

Id personally get more as I use a lot of ram hungry apps, but just monitor your system ram usage and amount of paging.

you should have to use alot of chrome tabs or be running a game to be using that much ram

Main Desktop  Mac Mini M1 8c | Samsung Odessey G8 OLED

Laptop MacBook Pro 14 inch | M3 Pro 11c | 18GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Phone iPhone 15 Pro Max

Camera Canon EOS R | EF-S 10-18mm | Helios 44-2 58mm | EF 35mm

7 minutes ago, GrumpyNoodles said:

you should have to use alot of chrome tabs or be running a game to be using that much ram

...no. i have battle.net, steam and 2 tabs open and i'm using 4.2gb out of my 8gb.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

...no. i have battle.net, steam and 2 tabs open and i'm using 4.2gb out of my 8gb.

I thought you said you were using all of your ram thats just over 50% That's normal then if you want to have more headroom I would suggest more ram 16 or 32 should do the trick. 

Main Desktop  Mac Mini M1 8c | Samsung Odessey G8 OLED

Laptop MacBook Pro 14 inch | M3 Pro 11c | 18GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Phone iPhone 15 Pro Max

Camera Canon EOS R | EF-S 10-18mm | Helios 44-2 58mm | EF 35mm

13 minutes ago, GrumpyNoodles said:

I thought you said you were using all of your ram thats just over 50% That's normal then if you want to have more headroom I would suggest more ram 16 or 32 should do the trick. 

i'm not the OP. i was just telling you you're wrong. ?‍♂️

She/Her