Could having Antec VP550P make my 8700k unstable?

passtore

I have gtx 1070 ti, b360m d3h and i7 8700k which isn't overclocked.

I have Antec VP550P as my power supply, and I have a few problems - Unstable gpu performance, some time ago my computer heavily lagged for a few seconds, and I have coil whine from my GPU.

I wanted to ask whether it could be the power supply that is responsible for unstable GPU performance including coil whine.

My temps of the gpu and cpu are fine - about 60-65 degrees while gaming on the cpu maybe 70 max when benchmarking, 28-35 idle, about 60-65 degrees for my gpu when gaming, 50+ when idle(after warming up).

Wanted to know if it's the power supply causing this.

Your temperatures seem fine.

I wouldn't personally trust that power supply too much as it doesn't seem to be a good unit. I seem to recall hearing that the PSU can cause coil whine, but I could be wrong..

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The fact that its a cheap PSU only sold in china shoud raise concerns.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

A faulty PSU can cause pretty much ANY problem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't personally trust that power supply too much as it doesn't seem to be a good unit. I seem to recall hearing that the PSU can cause coil whine, but I could be wrong..

13 minutes ago, Praesi said:

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How do I check if it's faulty and what proper PSU would be sufficient for that? Would this be fine?: 

https://antec.com/product/power/hcg-gold650.php

22 minutes ago, passtore said:

Unstable gpu performance, some time ago my computer heavily lagged for a few seconds, and I have coil whine from my GPU.

NOT PSU Related.

PSU only cause random reboots, shutdowns and in some cases general instability. Nothing of this has to do with PSU.

While the PSU can influence the Coil whine of a GPU as the intensity, if it is there its there with all PSU because the Card is the main issue.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It's not the PSU.

The PSU is far from great...  but it's not the PSU causing your issues.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:54 PM, Stefan Payne said:

NOT PSU Related.

PSU only cause random reboots, shutdowns and in some cases general instability. Nothing of this has to do with PSU.

While the PSU can influence the Coil whine of a GPU as the intensity, if it is there its there with all PSU because the Card is the main issue.

Not necessarily, an unclean power rail can cause literally ANY issue.  I'm not saying it IS the PSU at fault here, but saying its definitely not is not helpful IMO.  You should never dismiss the PSU as potentially the cause of an issue.

The same way coil whine doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, if the conductors are glued to reduce whine it can simply work loose over time.

Honestly though, I think we need more detail than "unstable" as exactly HOW is it unstable?  Outright crashes, slowdown, does it happen all all games, has there been any driver or game updates, etc (as I started having freezes myself in the latest Assassins Creed Odyssey update)?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not necessarily, an unclean power rail can cause literally ANY issue.  I'm not saying it IS the PSU at fault here, but saying its definitely not is not helpful IMO.  You should never dismiss the PSU as potentially the cause of an issue.

Yes, there are many things the PSU can cause, but not lags. That is not something in that area.

Lags are caused by other things than PSU.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, there are many things the PSU can cause, but not lags. That is not something in that area.

GPUs may throttle if power delivery becomes a problem, surely THAT would cause a lag?

From what I've seen, never EVER rule out the PSU, but its also unwise to assume it is until you have checked everything else.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:31 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

On 10/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, Praesi said:

On 10/20/2018 at 9:36 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

On 10/20/2018 at 9:50 PM, passtore said:

How do I check if it's faulty and what proper PSU would be sufficient for that? Would this be fine?: 

https://antec.com/product/power/hcg-gold650.php

On 10/20/2018 at 9:54 PM, Stefan Payne said:

NOT PSU Related.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:07 AM, jonnyGURU said:

It's not the PSU.

The PSU is far from great...  but it's not the PSU causing your issues.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The same way coil whine doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, if the conductors are glued to reduce whine it can simply work loose over time.

Honestly though, I think we need more detail than "unstable" as exactly HOW is it unstable?  Outright crashes, slowdown, does it happen all all games, has there been any driver or game updates, etc (as I started having freezes myself in the latest Assassins Creed Odyssey update)?

59 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

57 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

GPUs may throttle if power delivery becomes a problem, surely THAT would cause a lag?

From what I've seen, never EVER rule out the PSU, but its also unwise to assume it is until you have checked everything else.

To explain the issues I experience -

1. Annoying levels of noise, although it could be a bad computer case which is - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series™-200R-Compact-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011023-WW , Windowed version.

2. Computer some times gets stuck, not very often, but I've experienced that - Two severe examples were the computer getting extremely laggy at rainbow six siege on ultra settings vsync of 1 frame 1920p on a asus cerberus gtx 1070 ti for a couple of seconds that felt like it's 5 fps ( throwing a number to represent the slowness I didn't actually check FPS ). 

3. Overall slower basic program actions although that part is very subtle.

4.Unstable gpu frame rate at rainbow sixsiege, sometimes dropping in tens of frames per second(using the settings and the gpu i've mentioned) from  144(on vsync of 1 frame while monitor is 144hz) to 120 even 40 fps, sometimes you can feel the lagging in the game more than just a sheer number of FPS which is extremely annoying.

5.Very annoying gpu fans and coil whine noises, more than I think I used to experience(though I did switch to NH D15S on a Low Noise Adapter from an Arctic Alpine 11 GT).

To summarize - It's mostly in Rainbow Six Siege although even in Batman Arkham Knight and even AC Origins I feel lower performance, like how in Batman I used to get an average fps of 126 on ultra 1920p on a Asus Cerberus gtx 1070 ti and after some time it went down to about 106 or so, not very accurate but still that's the feeling.

But I also still feel it in regular daily tasks, though the emphasis is indeed on games.

I've given my temps - They seem fine for both gpu and cpu.

I now recorded a 7:20 minutes long audio file using a Blue Yeti from about a few inches away from the top of the case while playing about two rounds in a match of Rainbow Six Siege, it did record the mouse and keyboard noises but it mostly focuses on the case because of the distance that I've mentioned.

The file: 

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1qn8muO0gai

You don't have to listen to the whole 7:20 minutes, here are a few key points in my opinion of sounds that intimidate me more: 

0:08 - about regular coil whine

1:56 - More intensive coil whine

2:01 - Different style coil whine

3:19 - Sounds more than just coil whine

4:45 - Sounds like some dying robot coil whine

6:01 - Mixture of fans and coil whine

6:28 - Again weirder grinding like coil whine sounds

51 minutes ago, passtore said:

Two severe examples were the computer getting extremely laggy at rainbow six siege on ultra settings vsync of 1 frame 1920p on a asus cerberus gtx 1070 ti for a couple of seconds that felt like it's 5 fps ( throwing a number to represent the slowness I didn't actually check FPS ). 

That's the Harddrive. If you don't have an SSD; that is the Problem.

And maybe a fragmented HDD or HDD dying.

51 minutes ago, passtore said:

5.Very annoying gpu fans and coil whine noises, more than I think I used to experience

Coil whine comes from the GPU, the PSU can amplify the coil whine of the graphics card, its never the cause.

So it can be that with a different PSU it might be less annoying and not as loud but it will still be there. You can't do anything about that except for replacing the GPU.

And in some cases it isn't even coil whine, it is capacitor whine.

57 minutes ago, passtore said:

to NH D15S on a Low Noise Adapter

Is a very bad idea with:

On 10/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, passtore said:

b360m d3h and i7 8700

because it looks like it has shitty VRM as well and that needs a bit of cooling, thus you should have gone for a top flow cooler like the NH-C14S for example.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's the Harddrive. If you don't have an SSD; that is the Problem.

And maybe a fragmented HDD or HDD dying.

Coil whine comes from the GPU, the PSU can amplify the coil whine of the graphics card, its never the cause.

So it can be that with a different PSU it might be less annoying and not as loud but it will still be there. You can't do anything about that except for replacing the GPU.

And in some cases it isn't even coil whine, it is capacitor whine.

Is a very bad idea with:

because it looks like it has shitty VRM as well and that needs a bit of cooling, thus you should have gone for a top flow cooler like the NH-C14S for example.

So what should I change for the performance? I really don't have a clue and when I make a decision it's always bad.

2 minutes ago, passtore said:

So what should I change for the performance? I really don't have a clue and when I make a decision it's always bad.

Pls list the whole spec again

What Drives do you use??

the VRM Issue can be mitigated with a fan blowing on the back of the Motherboard.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

What Drives do you use??

the VRM Issue can be mitigated with a fan blowing on the back of the Motherboard.

Antec VP550P

Asus B360M D3H

Asus cerberus gtx 1070 ti

one stick of 16gb 2400mhz corsair

i7 8700k

Noctua NH D15S

Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Windowed version

Transcend SSD220S TS240GSSD220S 240GB SSD SATA III

Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Sata III WD20EZRZ

You need the Optical disc drive?

Are you using anything such as MSI Afterburner to measure the actual frame-rate, frame-times, GPU clock, temperature, CPU usage, clock rate, etc?  Because "felt like" isn't exactly helpful.

Poor frame-pacing can feel like a much lower frame-rate, even when its actually running identical.  Though granted, if it feels like 5fps its definitely not going to be running at 100. ;)

The tricky part here is that the coil whine and performance problems could be completely unrelated, although if they started at the same time its certainly suspect.

I'd definitely be taking a close look at my CPU and GPU clock speeds while gaming to ensure something odd isn't happening.  As mentioned above, the VRMs could cause thermal throttling even if the CPU is running cool.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, Stefan Payne said:

What Drives do you use??

On 10/24/2018 at 1:45 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are you using anything such as MSI Afterburner to measure the actual frame-rate, frame-times, GPU clock, temperature, CPU usage, clock rate, etc?  Because "felt like" isn't exactly helpful.

Poor frame-pacing can feel like a much lower frame-rate, even when its actually running identical.  Though granted, if it feels like 5fps its definitely not going to be running at 100. ;)

The tricky part here is that the coil whine and performance problems could be completely unrelated, although if they started at the same time its certainly suspect.

I'd definitely be taking a close look at my CPU and GPU clock speeds while gaming to ensure something odd isn't happening.  As mentioned above, the VRMs could cause thermal throttling even if the CPU is running cool.

Now I've changed my gpu to R9 270X and after my windows screen locked, I of course clicked on it to release it but it got stuck for a couple of seconds.

I don't know if it's the VRM or the ram, could it be the RAM? These annoying lags and stuttering of my computer.