USB ports wont work for a few minutes after booting windows.

Lethalmonk

Hey, so recently (after no changes) my usb ports wont work after booting windows 10 for a few minutes. If i boot up bios, it will work immediately, Nothing changed from the time it worked to when it stopped. If i unplug and replug the usb ports it wont work. One thing i noticed is when i unplug and plug in my mouse, the laser's light will blink and not turn on again. Anyone know why? Also, idk if this is relevent but before any of this started happening, the windows search bar sometimes wont pull up anything that i type.

Are the USB ports on your case and/or motherboard as each could have their own solutions

Motherboard

4 minutes ago, barondeau said:

Are the USB ports on your case and/or motherboard as each could have their own solutions

Then just use the ones on your case for the time being. Check on Device Manager, right click on the start menu, and see if any of your drivers for USBs need updates

20 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

Motherboard

Do you use a USB hub?
I had the same problem once I started using an internal USB hub connected to the motherboard USB header.

It's not a race to the bottom.

If they work outside of Windows then it's most likely an OS issue. As mentioned by @barondeau, you can open Device Manager and right-click on the USB hardware. Select "uninstall driver" from the context menu. This should reinstall the driver from the Windows driver store (assuming that isn't corrupt). For general OS health, you can run SFC /SCANNOW from command prompt. If Windows 8 and up, you can also run DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH to check the drivers, driver store and some other Windows system functions against Microsoft's Windows Update store online.

Again, this is all just general health stuff. Start with uninstalling the drivers from Device Manager first. I only mentioned the other options because you had shown concern about the search not working either.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury