What does s Network switch do?

MojangYang
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
4 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Okay, I know this question sound like a noob question, that is because it is.

Some websites told me a switch connect many devices to the same network, and the switch is connected to the router. But why do people need switches, I mean why can’t they just connect directly to the router? Is the switch just a Ethernet splitter?

Im going to blow your mind. Many routers have switches build in. Mind blown? Ethernet is not like electrical cables, you cant just split it with a spliter. You have to use a Hub or Switch. Hubs are no longer used any more because of limitations they had. Switches allow you to connect multiple Ethernet devices together. For example you have maybe 4 Ethernet devices in your bed room, but your router is in the living room. Are you going to run 4 Ethernet cords, or you can run one to a switch and connect all the devices to a switch. Another reason to use a Switch is if all the ports on your router get filled. 

Some websites told me a switch connect many devices to the same network, and the switch is connected to the router. But why do people need switches, I mean why can’t they just connect directly to the router? Is the switch just a Ethernet splitter?

Essentially. Switches are used when there are many ethernet devices need to be connected to the same network. Your average home network won't have need for a switch, but something like an office or LAN center would use one.

4 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Im going to blow your mind. Many routers have switches build in. Mind blown? Ethernet is not like electrical cables, you cant just split it with a spliter. You have to use a Hub or Switch. Hubs are no longer used any more because of limitations they had. Switches allow you to connect multiple Ethernet devices together. For example you have maybe 4 Ethernet devices in your bed room, but your router is in the living room. Are you going to run 4 Ethernet cords, or you can run one to a switch and connect all the devices to a switch. Another reason to use a Switch is if all the ports on your router get filled. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, danomicar said:

.... Your average home network won't have need for a switch

only if only 2 devices

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

15 hours ago, keskparane said:

only if only 2 devices

Most routers have at LEAST four ports.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Most businesses even aggregate all of their users in the switch side.  As above a home router is more often than not a combo device of a router, a switch and a wireless access point.

For simplicity's sake most people are just told stuff like 'plug it into the router bro'

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Most routers have at LEAST four ports.

Because they have an built in switch. Just because it is built in doesn't mean it's not required.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.