Really worried about my gaming PC

LightskyTiger

So, I am trying to run GTA V and I have about 180fps average with HORRIBLE stuttering.

I am getting told that it's because of my monitor being 75hz and getting 180+fps but im personally really doubting that as on fortnite i can get 240fps with no stutters.

the game works fine with vsync, so it seems at least but its very very bothering that im not sure of an exact reason as i dont want this to happen to other games.

Will buying a better refresh rate monitor [144hz] change anything at all?

Specs are in siggy, temps on both gpu and cpu NEVER pass 65 and everage around 48.

System Specs

GPU - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080

CPU - Intel i5 8600k @ 4.8Ghz

Motherboard - Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming

Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3000Mhz

Cooler - NZXT Kraken x62

PSU - Corsair RM550x

Storage - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB / 1TB Barracuda

Case - NZXT H500

it is possible that it is your monitors refresh rate.  the reason why you might not notice it with fortnight is because of how the game is optimized.  remember gta is a much older game then fortnight

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

The 6600k and 7600k both had similar stuttering issues with high frame rates.  I know the 8600k has two more cores but this could be the culprit. Try turning a frame rate limiter on to limit it to 75hzfps.

Here's gamersnexus video on it the stutter effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNAvkY6Ops

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Just now, xdeathshot20 said:

it is possible that it is your monitors refresh rate.  the reason why you might not notice it with fortnight is because of how the game is optimized.  remember gta is a much older game then fortnight

very true, i get small stutters with black ops 3 but its no where near as bad as gta5, ill see what other people say and if they agree ill buy myself a 144hz monitor

System Specs

Cooler - NZXT Kraken x62

PSU - Corsair RM550x

Case - NZXT H500

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

The 6600k and 7600k both had similar stuttering issues with high frame rates.  I know the 8600k has two more cores but this could be the culprit. Try turning a frame rate limiter on to limit it to 75hz.

Here's gamersnexus video on it the stutter effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNAvkY6Ops

but why would it only do it for gta v? its really confusing, would i have to buy a new cpu?

edit ; saw the video title, sorry about that.

System Specs

Cooler - NZXT Kraken x62

PSU - Corsair RM550x

Case - NZXT H500

Just now, LightskyTiger said:

but why would it only do it for gta v? its really confusing, would i have to buy a new cpu?

Just something in the way the game is made, but I know they were able to consistently get results on the 6600k/7600k, so I think it is likely that is the case with your 8600k.  As far as I know R* hasn't addressed it.

Like I said, just limit your FPS to 75 fps with the RivaTuner Statistics Server program, which comes with MSA afterburner.  You can't see above that on your monitor anyways, but if you wanted to get a higher refresh rate monitor I would bet that the problem with GTA would persist with your CPU.  Might have to upgrade to an 8700k, which in my opinion, wouldn't be worth it just to get high refresh rate in one game, but that's for you to decide.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor