Best PCI-e Lane Configuration Z390 Giga Master

Okay, so I'm new to this, and the PCI-e lane distribution between the motherboard and the CPU, and what can best utilize them trips me up every time. I'm using this rig for VR gaming, and I'm using the HTC Vive wireless PCI-e based solution, so I'm running into the territory where good PCI-e lane management is probably essential.

Heres the PCI-e lane hardware to consider:
- EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra
- Intel Optane 905p 960 GB PCI-e SSD (Boot Drive)
- Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB SSD M.2 (Data Drive)
- Vive Wireless PCI-e Card

This is using a i9-9900k CPU.

Below is an image of the Motherboard Layout.
https://www.pcper.com/image/view/93791?return=node%2F70276

My concern is getting maximum performance out of the Boot Drive, and indistinguishable performance out of the GPU (I've heard that an 8x is more than adequate for 'most' GPUs but this being the latest top of the line GPU I'm not sure if that still holds true, negligable drops in FPS of 1-5 aren't a huge concern, but anything that starts getting into regular losses of percentages, IE 5-10% off all performance would be a significant concern), while minimizing latency from the Vive Wireless card.

If there's an ideal configuration, I'd appreciate any help figuring it out, if there is not and I absolutely need to change motherboards, I won't kill the messenger.

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

• 2 months later...

Hi,  I was just doing a google search for almost the exact same setup. Have you found a optimal setup yet for what you want? I look forward to hearing what you found out.

Thanks,

Beef

On 10/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, Daharen said:

My concern is getting maximum performance out of the Boot Drive, and indistinguishable performance out of the GPU (I've heard that an 8x is more than adequate for 'most' GPUs but this being the latest top of the line GPU I'm not sure if that still holds true, negligable drops in FPS of 1-5 aren't a huge concern, but anything that starts getting into regular losses of percentages, IE 5-10% off all performance would be a significant concern), while minimizing latency from the Vive Wireless card.

PCI Express 3.0 x8 is still viable for the RTX 2080 Ti: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_PCI-Express_Scaling/

They also did a test with a GTX 1080 using 4 lanes from the CPU or from the chipset, and it doesn't appear to have effect meaning there's likely no appreciable performance drop based on where the lanes are coming from (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/).

Regarding boot drive performance, NVMe is overkill for most single user use cases, so don't worry about it.