CPU LANES?

I am thinking about upgrading my cpu.  I Have a 1080ti, and an intel 900p pcie memory storage card  PCIe* x4.

I want the 1080ti to have full access to the 16 lanes and the 900p looks like its 4 lanes, please correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.

If i was to get a 8700k or 9900k it says they are 16 lanes. so this wont be enough right. i know that it can step the gpu down to 8 lanes, but you know how it is. Maximum power. the intel page says the 9900k is 16 lanes, but the digital image market push says 40* lanes. also i heard motherboards have lanes too. this is why i am confused.

Please help me ? 

Unless you plug in an PCIe device into a PCIe slot meant for graphics cards, the the PCIe device will use the lanes from the PCH, not the CPU.

The breakdown of the number of PCIe lanes is this: 16 from the CPU, 24 from the PCH. The PCH talks to the CPU via an effective PCIe 3.0 x4 bus, but unless you're doing something that's saturating RAM or RAM saturating some I/O device(s) on the PCH, this isn't really an issue.

The chipset has lanes too, I'm assuming you have a z370 board or something? You will have enough bandwidth. PCIe storage doesn't draw from the CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

thanks yeah i have x79 with 3820, i know ill have lots of stuff to buy along with cpu too cheers for the speedy reply.

1 minute ago, SSJ4_Crashzero said:

thanks yeah i have x79 with 3820, i know ill have lots of stuff to buy along with cpu too cheers for the speedy reply.

Oh I see. My bad, but you will still be able to use an m.2. however, x79 doesn't support booting from m.2

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Unless you plug in an PCIe device into a PCIe slot meant for graphics cards, the the PCIe device will use the lanes from the PCH, not the CPU.

The breakdown of the number of PCIe lanes is this: 16 from the CPU, 24 from the PCH. The PCH talks to the CPU via an effective PCIe 3.0 x4 bus, but unless you're doing something that's saturating RAM or RAM saturating some I/O device(s) on the PCH, this isn't really an issue.

ooooh i better check which slot my 900p is. its in the second slot so i bet thats an issue. thanks that expanded my knowledge for sure cheers.

X79-ud3 straight from gigabyte website. does this mean 1 and 2 are cpu lanes and 3 and 4 are mobo lanes or PCH. or is my motherboard ancient and this is something entirely different

1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1, PCIEX8_2)
    * The PCIEX8_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When the PCIEX8_2 slot is populated, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
    (All PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
  3. 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (All PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  4. 1 x PCI slot

x8/x16 doesn't actually matter even still

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.