Size on drive vs size in disk management

Go to solution Solved by TechyBen,
6 minutes ago, DVA said:

Did you...did you keep them? :o

Nah. I want to be honest. Amazon may not be the best in their treatment to people, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. I also worked in retail, and know sometimes it's easy to pick the wrong box (model numbers are insanely annoying!). Sent them back. Who knows, perhaps it will make someone smile in their horrid warehouses. If not, I know it's all cool with me. :)

PS, I see it is an Intel drive. I read the OP as adding the drive to an existing system? If it's only got the Intel, seems a packing error, or a fake. This may help: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28234?v=t

Wait, what? How did it resize? Lol.

I recently added an intel SSD6 256GB to my setup. The NVMe is 256GB - it says so on the box and on the label. However, in Windows disk management, the disk is shown to be around 450GB in size.

Can anyone explain the nearly double size and how I can format it to 256GB (Windows is stubborn that it MUST be formatted to 450 or so GB)? From my experience in my younger years (with floppy disks), it is highly inadvisable to format a disk bigger than the designated size on the package?

you could check the sku on the drive. it might be you lucked out and got a larger drive than you were supposed to.

in terms of formatting a disk i would think there would not be any problems. formatting is just formatting really. unless someone can prove me wrong?

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

You seem to have added the drive to a disk pool, and Windows has allocated it as 1 single virtual disk? No idea how to fix that one!

[Users, LOL!]

You possible set it to a spanned volume?

Did you buy it "open box" or used? Maybe refurbished? Could have been a mix up and you got a larger storage SSD.

No idea what it could be other than that.

6 minutes ago, DVA said:

Did you buy it "open box" or used? Maybe refurbished? Could have been a mix up and you got a larger storage SSD.

No idea what it could be other than that.

That and telling us the brand and place of purchase would help!

[Edit]

Amazon did this to me 2 weeks ago. I ordered a 120gb drive... they sent a box of 120gb drives. XD

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

That and telling us the brand and place of purchase would help!

[Edit]

Amazon did this to me 2 weeks ago. I ordered a 120gb drive... they sent a box of 120gb drives. XD

Thanks guys, I googled a bit and AOMEI helped me sort it out. The NVMe is on a riser in the second PCIe-16 slot, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it seems to be sorted now. I wiped the partition and it immediately dropped to its correct size. Kinda sad, actually...

But thanks.

Edited by Kosenator

6 minutes ago, DVA said:

Nah. I want to be honest. Amazon may not be the best in their treatment to people, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. I also worked in retail, and know sometimes it's easy to pick the wrong box (model numbers are insanely annoying!). Sent them back. Who knows, perhaps it will make someone smile in their horrid warehouses. If not, I know it's all cool with me. :)

PS, I see it is an Intel drive. I read the OP as adding the drive to an existing system? If it's only got the Intel, seems a packing error, or a fake. This may help: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28234?v=t

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I bought it second hand from a pro-gamer who lives a hundred or so kilometres away. As for the resising, I opened AOMEI and chose to wipe the partition - and the size dropped to around 240GB, much more logical on a 256GB drive (remember about the spare space on SSDs for data transfers).

Thanks for the link, I think it may come in handy in the future.

And you have at least one fan on the jury now for your honesty.

Glad you sorted it. Wonder if the NVME was part of a pool in error?

I recently passed on a nice Asus Rog Laptop to my bro. It was a customer return I think, so "new" in the box, still had tags, but customer service seems to have "reset" it. In resetting, Windows put the boot partition on the NVME, but windows on the HDD (it has 1 of each). Windows fails to access or see the NVME drive, till I completely wiped everything. Was really annoying. But thankfully, like you, a proper partition + "clean" of the drive type (MBR vs GPT) fixed it... but I had to use command line, because the Win10 installer does not support it in GUI ?

Ouch. People say that Win 10 can install directly to NVMe while Win 7 needs to migrate or needs a serious hacking to install onto it. The last time I had Win 10 on my system, was the free upgrade in 2015. I didn't like it too much (but it was better than Windows Hate - I mean, 8 - anyway) so I returned to Windows 7.

Btw, maybe it's just me, but I decided to GPT some drives, and they seem to have more available space now, than with MBR.

On a side-note, good choice in notebooks. I got me a G73Sw in 2011, it still runs beautifully, though it refuses to run AotS (for obvious reasons). I upgraded the RAM to 16GB (max it can take) and replaced the drives with an SSD for boot and a 2TB Firecuda for data. Before this, I was a bit of an ASUS-fan already, especially after a local computer technician said that ASUS was the only brand that he never had comebacks with, and this notebook of mine pretty much cemented ASUS as a favourite brand. 

On a side-note, good choice in notebooks. I got me a G73Sw in 2011, it still runs beautifully, though it refuses to run AotS (for obvious reasons). I upgraded the RAM to 16GB (max it can take) and replaced the drives with an SSD for boot and a 2GB Firecuda for data. Before this, I was a bit of an ASUS-fan already, especially after a local computer technician said that ASUS was the only brand that he never had comebacks with, and this notebook of mine pretty much cemented ASUS as a favourite brand.

a "2GB Firecuda"?  Do you mean "2TB Firecuda"?