Refurbishing Computers

Does anyone happen to have any experience with refurbishing VERY old computers (like ones with core 2 duos) and how/where to resell them to? I have a lot of free time on my hands and I'm looking to get into this.

4 minutes ago, johanneslol11 said:

:) I see them on facebook a lot! 

visit your local public school and talk to the tech/it guy. They usually have a bunch of them that get recycled one they reach end of life, offer to take them of their hands, put a C2Q and 8Gb of ram in it for $20 and flip on ebay for $50

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

7 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Does anyone happen to have any experience with refurbishing VERY old computers (like ones with core 2 duos) and how/where to resell them to? I have a lot of free time on my hands and I'm looking to get into this.

What models of computers are we talking here? Optiplexs? Compaq elites? 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

9 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What models of computers are we talking here? Optiplexs? Compaq elites? 

Optiplex and Compaq seem to be most common on Ebay, So yes, those kinds of models.

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Optiplex and Compaq seem to be most common on Ebay, So yes, those kinds of models.

Okay, what level of refurbishing are you planning on doing? Just upgrading, components and reselling the computer as a gaming computer? Or upgrade and repair?

If you just want to upgrade, then first purchase a restoration disk from the manufacturer (it's cheaper to already use the OS that the computer came with) Install an HDD if missing, or offer upgrades to a larger HDD, or an SSD install a GDDR5 GT 1030, GTX1050, GTX1050 ti, RX 550, or RX 560, (get the LP models if you are working with SFF models), install 8GB of RAM in each machine, get some thermal paste and renew the thermal paste application for the heatsink, (optional) purchase/install wifi card, and purchase a air can to clean the machines out. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

What’s to refurbish? Blowing out the dust? Hahaha. 

Also Core 2 computers are getting stomped out IMO by older i series computers. My friend got an i5, 8GB, 500GB dell for like 200 USD shipped 1-2 years ago. Unless you plan on playing last gen games, or setup linux, core 2 won’t cut it anymore. Most “super cheap gaming pc” videos end up featuring 50~ or less USD shipped PCs from what I’ve seen. Even on eBay, you can get pallets of 100 core 2 pcs for 100 USD. (Taking into consideration of timing.) 

edit: 

itd be a fun hobby but not a logical business endeavor. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

What’s to refurbish? Blowing out the dust? Hahaha. 

Also Core 2 computers are getting stomped out IMO by older i series computers. My friend got an i5, 8GB, 500GB dell for like 200 USD shipped 1-2 years ago. Unless you plan on playing last gen games, or setup linux, core 2 won’t cut it anymore. Most “super cheap gaming pc” videos end up featuring 50~ or less USD shipped PCs from what I’ve seen. Even on eBay, you can get pallets of 100 core 2 pcs for 100 USD. (Taking into consideration of timing.) 

edit: 

itd be a fun hobby but not a logical business endeavor. 

I have to admit the Ivy bridge PCs are a much better value at this time, and can still be had for rather cheaply. They can be had in lots of 10 for ~$800 to 1000 USD and can be upgrade rather quickly and after an additional 1k to 2k they can be sold for a profit of $300 to $500 USD. This would make for a good hobby that pays for itself, but due to the many hours required and taxes it is not the most practical of incomes.