I have a 1070 today, upgrade to the 2070 or...

Grimlakin

Do you think I would be better served in going with an additional 1070 and running SLI?   Thoughts?

Made today.

Depends on the games you play really... for SLI.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Getting a bigger better single GPU is going to give you more consistent benefits than an SLI system. 

Purely anecdotal, but everyone I have known to run SLI has told me they hardly ever get to use it because of poor or complete lack of support in the games they play. 

And even if it does work... in some games.

That does not mean you don't get microstutters.

Mostly do, some don't.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not sure if anyone’s read that leaked review of the 2070, but does making it better than the 1080 justify its price? For the non founders edition? 

I've seen it as I am a member of the [H]ardocp community.  Good review a bit shallow on depth for my tastes but posting a world first you need to cut the chaff.   

In my personal opinion if you have a 10x0 generation card and are not suffering in performance I would wait.   The cards even from NVIDIA for the 21x0 or whatever is next series will be a die shrink AND generation change, AND see some RTX support in the wild.  That will be the value proposition for an upgrade.   And really we all know if this generation has weak sales all around then the next one will be more aggressively priced AND be a better performer.