Pixel to Pixel 3

Go to solution Solved by krkevin,

It's going to be annoying once you realize you need to carry your wired headphones and a dongle. The headphone jack is dying, Google doesn't even include it in their latest tablet, Google Pixel Slate, which proves Google is ditching the headphone jack altogether, which means Google is unlikely to include the headphone jack in future generations.

One option is to switch to Bluetooth 5. Never tried Bluetooth 5 headphones (just 4.2), but they advertise better connection speed and range. Some Bluetooth 5 headphones exist today, like this one (which is cheap compared to mine, I paid $200 CAD + tax for it): US: https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Soundcore-Cancelling-SweatGuard-Technology/dp/B07B9R67WR

International: https://amzn.to/2AblVNS

A bit pricier than your average affordable wired headphones, but just stating that it's an option.

The notch is also a trend that won't go away until smartphone technology is developed enough to find viable alternatives to the notch, without mechanical parts that can fail over time. Once you buy the 3 XL, you'll get used to it. There are many tech reviewers who first hated the notch like it was a design flaw, but once they used multiple devices, some say they're used to it (Ex. Dave2D).

To wrap up, a lot of sacrifices are made in smartphones and that space get's replaced by something better (usually), such as a bigger battery. You can hide the notch on the Pixel 3 XL with software if you get annoyed, but if you don't want a notch at all, get the reglar Pixel 3, not the XL. If you're on a budget, go with the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL.

Hoenstly, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are known to have excellent cameras, sometimes even better than the Note 9, and that came out in August 2018. This proves that people don't need the latest and the greatest anymore, since smartphones have slowed down, a lot.

So I have a google pixel first gen I've had since the first year it came out and I wasn't a huge fan of the pixel 2 cause no headphone jack and the screen issue plus they didn't add wireless charging. But now the Pixel 3 has fixed all but the headphone jack (in the non xl cause the xl added a notch which is so dumb). My phone is great only issue is that the battery is getting old but everything else is just fine(although that call screen not coming to older phones sucks). I could replace the battery or just upgrade to a bigger battery, better screen, wireless charging, better cpu and better cameras this Christmas as I usually buy phones for everyone then. Any ideas on which is a better plan?

I guess that depends on your budget. I don't think the original Pixel will be out of support for at least another year.

Also custom rom is another route after google stop supporting the device.

Magical Pineapples

It's going to be annoying once you realize you need to carry your wired headphones and a dongle. The headphone jack is dying, Google doesn't even include it in their latest tablet, Google Pixel Slate, which proves Google is ditching the headphone jack altogether, which means Google is unlikely to include the headphone jack in future generations.

One option is to switch to Bluetooth 5. Never tried Bluetooth 5 headphones (just 4.2), but they advertise better connection speed and range. Some Bluetooth 5 headphones exist today, like this one (which is cheap compared to mine, I paid $200 CAD + tax for it): US: https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Soundcore-Cancelling-SweatGuard-Technology/dp/B07B9R67WR

International: https://amzn.to/2AblVNS

A bit pricier than your average affordable wired headphones, but just stating that it's an option.

The notch is also a trend that won't go away until smartphone technology is developed enough to find viable alternatives to the notch, without mechanical parts that can fail over time. Once you buy the 3 XL, you'll get used to it. There are many tech reviewers who first hated the notch like it was a design flaw, but once they used multiple devices, some say they're used to it (Ex. Dave2D).

To wrap up, a lot of sacrifices are made in smartphones and that space get's replaced by something better (usually), such as a bigger battery. You can hide the notch on the Pixel 3 XL with software if you get annoyed, but if you don't want a notch at all, get the reglar Pixel 3, not the XL. If you're on a budget, go with the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL.

Hoenstly, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are known to have excellent cameras, sometimes even better than the Note 9, and that came out in August 2018. This proves that people don't need the latest and the greatest anymore, since smartphones have slowed down, a lot.

-Kevin-

The LG G7 One seems like an OK Pixel alternative. It’s an LG G7 with Stock Android.