I need someone smart please

Daddy Dave

So I bought the steel series artic 5's last month. I liked them but one day I found my old bose QC 25's laying around. I decided to use them for gaming and to be completely honest it sounded way better. The only concern I have is that my artics came with an amp which might make it sound better than my boses. And I couldn't get over the fact that they might have sounded better just because of this amp. So me being a stupid kid I have decided that I wanted an AMP/DAC. My case cost me like 30 bucks so the sound card on it is probably a potato. I am and always will be on a budget. So if anyone has any budget DAC/AMP that they recommend for a headphone like the boses please feel free to leave a comment. Also I would like a second opinion on my artics vs bosses debate. Which one is better?

11 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

So I bought the steel series artic 5's last month. I liked them but one day I found my old bose QC 25's laying around. I decided to use them for gaming and to be completely honest it sounded way better. The only concern I have is that my artics came with an amp which might make it sound better than my boses. And I couldn't get over the fact that they might have sounded better just because of this amp. So me being a stupid kid I have decided that I wanted an AMP/DAC. My case cost me like 30 bucks so the sound card on it is probably a potato. I am and always will be on a budget. So if anyone has any budget DAC/AMP that they recommend for a headphone like the boses please feel free to leave a comment. Also I would like a second opinion on my artics vs bosses debate. Which one is better?

Bose QC 25's are going to sound better.

They are designed for music listening, not gaming. 

If you want a cheap DAC/AMP, The FiiO e10k is what I recommend a lot of people get. It is $70 though. 

Link: http://a.co/d/68OwuIu

If you want something cheaper, USB audio interfaces work as great DACs as well. 

Exhibit A: Link: http://a.co/d/0wknQZl

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, Brink2Three said:

Bose QC 25's are going to sound better.

They are designed for music listening, not gaming. 

If you want a cheap DAC/AMP, The FiiO e10k is what I recommend a lot of people get. It is $70 though. 

Link: http://a.co/d/68OwuIu

If you want something cheaper, USB audio interfaces work as great DACs as well. 

Exhibit A: Link: http://a.co/d/0wknQZl

Thanks, man. Also, why don't you think the boses aren't good for gaming. Not judging you or anything im just interested in ur opinion

17 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

Also, why don't you think the boses aren't good for gaming.

Bose tends to tune headphones and IEMs for extra bass.  For gaming you'll generally want a more neutral sound, maybe even a little more treble.

24 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

Thanks, man. Also, why don't you think the boses aren't good for gaming. Not judging you or anything im just interested in ur opinion

Welcome to marketing my friend. Of course you can game on non gaming headphones, any audio outputting device can be used for gaming. The fact that it is designed for music just relates to that the sound is way better balanced and mor difficile than on gaming branded stuff.

Another thing: your case doesn't have a soundcard (at least i don't know any case that has that). Yes it has a 3.5mm jack, but the sound gets processed on the motherboard with the internal sound card.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

6 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Welcome to marketing my friend. Of course you can game on non gaming headphones, any audio outputting device can be used for gaming. The fact that it is designed for music just relates to that the sound is way better balanced and mor difficile than on gaming branded stuff.

Another thing: your case doesn't have a soundcard (at least i don't know any case that has that). Yes it has a 3.5mm jack, but the sound gets processed on the motherboard with the internal sound card.

So is it the same as a gaming headset but its just a music headset. Basically works perfectly for both?

9 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Bose tends to tune headphones and IEMs for extra bass.  For gaming you'll generally want a more neutral sound, maybe even a little more treble.

Your probably right. But do you think the Artic or boses are better

5 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

So is it the same as a gaming headset but its just a music headset. Basically works perfectly for both?

You wont damage either of these if you refer to that

But in my experience the music headsets sound generally much better, so i'd just use them for everything. The gaming headsets I heard were to say at least mediocre and priced very high. But here comes personal taste into play too, it always depends if you like the sound signature. I tried several headsets before settling on the one i use now.

Just use the things you like more, if you can better game with a gaming headset go ahead, if you can better game with the qc's or another "music" headset use it. it simply has to work for you, it is your personal thing. We don't have to listen to your sound and live with it.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

You wont damage either of these if you refer to that

But in my experience the music headsets sound generally much better, so i'd just use them for everything. The gaming headsets I heard were to say at least mediocre and priced very high. But here comes personal taste into play too, it always depends if you like the sound signature. I tried several headsets before settling on the one i use now.

Just use the things you like more, if you can better game with a gaming headset go ahead, if you can better game with the qc's or another "music" headset use it. it simply has to work for you, it is your personal thing. We don't have to listen to your sound and live with it.

Your so right. Do you think I should get an AMP/DAC like does it really make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Daddy Dave said:

Your so right. Do you think I should get an AMP/DAC like does it really make a difference. 

if you on a really tight budget, i wouldn't.

For me it's just a luxury accessoire and it really depends on the headphones and how bad the onboard audio is, how much of a difference it makes. On mine, the difference was quite subtle.

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

9 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

if you on a really tight budget, i wouldn't.

For me it's just a luxury accessoire and it really depends on the headphones and how bad the onboard audio is, how much of a difference it makes. On mine, the difference was quite subtle.

I mean I'm not into esports or anything like that so it isn't necessary for me to hear that much. Besides like you said u can barely notice the difference. Also which one do you recommend the artics (which are titles as a gaming headset or the Boses?

37 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

I mean I'm not into esports or anything like that so it isn't necessary for me to hear that much. Besides like you said u can barely notice the difference. Also which one do you recommend the artics (which are titles as a gaming headset or the Boses?

I've never heard the artics, so I can't judge that
Just go with the ones you like more. It's not the end of the world if you change your mind later

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

16 hours ago, Daddy Dave said:

I didn't say they aren't good for gaming. I said the Bose headphones would sound better. I meant for music OR gaming. "Gaming" Headphones over-emphasize bass and treble to make explosions sound louder, shooting to be more piercing, etc. Headphones like the bose ones are designed to be close to accurate to real life. This means that things like footsteps will actually be easier to hear since they are usually in the midrange where gaming headphones struggle. ALSO, if you play multiplayer games, VOIP will be clearer with your Bose headphones. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I've never heard the artics, so I can't judge that
Just go with the ones you like more. It's not the end of the world if you change your mind later

Ok thanks bro

15 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

I didn't say they aren't good for gaming. I said the Bose headphones would sound better. I meant for music OR gaming. "Gaming" Headphones over-emphasize bass and treble to make explosions sound louder, shooting to be more piercing, etc. Headphones like the bose ones are designed to be close to accurate to real life. This means that things like footsteps will actually be easier to hear since they are usually in the midrange where gaming headphones struggle. ALSO, if you play multiplayer games, VOIP will be clearer with your Bose headphones. 

OMG. I love you so much. Thanks for that advice. Know im for sure that i am going to use the boses. Because footsteps are something that I really like to watch out for and explosions and stuuf not so much. Thanks for answering in a noob form so i could understand what you are saying 

7 hours ago, Daddy Dave said:

OMG. I love you so much. Thanks for that advice. Know im for sure that i am going to use the boses. Because footsteps are something that I really like to watch out for and explosions and stuuf not so much. Thanks for answering in a noob form so i could understand what you are saying 

No problem. I'm always glad to help. And it's not really noob form, I just spend way too much money on equipment. :P 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

16 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

No problem. I'm always glad to help. And it's not really noob form, I just spend way too much money on equipment. :P 

Any recommendations on a keybaord that is tkl

1 hour ago, Daddy Dave said:

Any recommendations on a keybaord that is tkl

Alloy FPS Pro. 

I've got the version with Cherry MX Blues and love it. 

http://a.co/d/8HcTqqF

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"