HUGE Mineral Oil PC Build

Hi all,

New to the forum (not to LTT) thought I would share with you my mineral oil PC build

Hardware:

ASUS Z170 Deluxe

Kingston 8GB 2133Mhz x2

Skylake I7 6700K (O.C 4.6Ghz)

Cooler Master Hyper 212X with Corsair SP120 fans x2

Samsung 860 evo 500GB

Samsung 960 NVMe 250GB

Corsair CX850M x2

ASUS Strix GTX980Ti x2 (stock fans & shroud removed and replaced with Corsair SP120) x4

I/O from a cheap Bitfenix case

All thermal paste replaced with thermal grizzly conductonaut

All fans are set at their max rpm (1500) 

Case:

The fishtank measures 40cm x 40cm x 60cm and is all glass

The mobo is attached by 40mm suction cups that have m4 screws set in them 

The bottom of the GPU's I/O plate had to be cut

The mobo header / I/O panel is attached to the unit next to the tank

One PSU powers the mobo, CPU and peripherals and the other PSU is just for the SLI 980Ti's

I have 2 x LCD temperature stickers in the tank to monitor oil temp.

Air pump and several air stones are underneath the pebbles

70 Litres of white mineral oil used 

Aquarium overhead LED light

Temperatures:

Before the mineral oil (with the corsair fans etc all set up inside the tank) the GPU stock temps would hit 80C+ after only about 20mins on 3DMark timespy / firestrike with similar performance in games too after 30mins or so. Random FPS drops occurred and GTAV 4K Ultra settings managed 30-50fps with similar results in BF1 

CPU temps idled at 30C and plateaued at 80C after an Hr of stress testing and hit 70C when gaming

With the mineral oil, GPU temps sat around 30C and 40C and the CPU around 40C after 30 mins with FPS hitting the 60 limiter throughout (see picture)

The oil temp went from 28C to 34C during testing so next step will be to add an external radiator and pump setup (however anything under 3 hours of continuous gaming should be achievable as oil temps will theoretically be less than 60C)

I have not had a chance to overclock the GPU's yet (I have had them at 1500Mhz when the original fans were working) but will keep posted with O.C results at some point. 

(CPU is at stable 4.6Ghz @1.34V)

The reason for butchering the GPU's was due to eventually ALL of the fans failing on BOTH of the cards (known problem on the ASUS Strix 980Ti's)

(Will upload some videos to youtube at some point, the short video here does not do it justice as it had to be cut for 20Mb file size) 

Let me know what u guys think!

IMG_4277.JPG

looks great, until you try to clean it and break slots off the motherboard but im certainly sure youre aware mineral oil doesnt like certain plastics 

On 10/14/2018 at 3:42 AM, Nogghan said:

looks great, until you try to clean it and break slots off the motherboard but im certainly sure youre aware mineral oil doesnt like certain plastics 

Oh yeah, I remember this from Linus' video. But i think it will hold up

Interesting that for sure.

Thermatake Tower 900 Build
Intel® Core™ i7-7700K @5.3GHz -2AVX / ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX + EK-FB ASUS M9A Monoblock 
ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI 11Gb @2114MHz/5780Mhz / DIMM.2 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 x2 RAID 0
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 80+ PLATINUM / Hisense 65" H9 Plus 4k HDR