1.6ghz 2core cpu with ubuntu

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

I would bet YouTube won't work well (but feel free to try... maybe it will surprise me lol), but for local video playback and the other tasks you mentioned it should be fine

The one thing that might trip you up is the compositor.  I remember back when that stuff was still fairly new you needed a midrange gaming card just to run your desktop smoothly, but I think it's been massively improved since then.  That said, you might still notice a much better experience with something like xfce (as opposed to the stock Ubuntu DE)

gday

how bad do you think the user experience be if i installed ubuntu on a notebook with a

Intel Core i5- 4202Y 1.60GHz, 2 cores

4gb of ram

128gb ssd

i know that the minimum recommended cpu for ubuntu is at least 2ghz but im just wondering how bad it would actually be. just using it for very light use eg- libre office, browsing and watching videos.

cheers

I would bet YouTube won't work well (but feel free to try... maybe it will surprise me lol), but for local video playback and the other tasks you mentioned it should be fine

The one thing that might trip you up is the compositor.  I remember back when that stuff was still fairly new you needed a midrange gaming card just to run your desktop smoothly, but I think it's been massively improved since then.  That said, you might still notice a much better experience with something like xfce (as opposed to the stock Ubuntu DE)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

not all ghz is equal. that system will work perfectly fine for youtube. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Red_Head_Redemption said:

gday

how bad do you think the user experience be if i installed ubuntu on a notebook with a

Intel Core i5- 4202Y 1.60GHz, 2 cores

4gb of ram

128gb ssd

i know that the minimum recommended cpu for ubuntu is at least 2ghz but im just wondering how bad it would actually be. just using it for very light use eg- libre office, browsing and watching videos.

cheers

It's a "modern" CPU with a decent integrated video card, and that is the most important thing.

The only thing is that most of browsers out there for Linux don't use hardware decoding for videos, the experience would be like Windows but a bit worse

With my old Core Duo laptop CPU I can watch 720p videos fluently at 30 fps with 100% CPU usage in YouTube, but in twitch is lagging. No hardware decoding