New Build (NEED RECCOMENDATIONS PLEASE!)

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
3 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

1. I want some really great cooling in this system which is why I chose that case and cooler specifically, but I am aware of the fact that the Noctua NH-D15 is pretty massive so I'm worried that it may get in the way of the ram or have some other form of compatibility issue. I also don't like watercooling.
  2. I really like that case but i'm not 100% positive it's the best option. I only chose it because it's large and I wanted to be absolutely certain that I had enough space for the cooler. Because of this reason I was very scared of picking a mid size case. I don't want to spend my money and start installing things only to find out something doesn't fit right or that the parts are all cramped up and will cause heating issues. (My current PC is pretty cramped so I'm kinda done with that issue at this point..) Someone tell me of a case that can still fit everything, has good cable management, dust filters and great airflow? Please?
  3. Is the processor good enough for all that workload?
  4. Will this GPU even play well with the MOBO and CPU??
  5. I don't want the PC to be incredibly loud. My current PC is kinda loud already. Obviously I don't require complete silence but if I leave my computer on at night time I don't want to be listening to a deafening whiny fan noise coming from my PC that is actually LOUDER than my actual fan (Like my current PC). I also work from home taking customer service calls and even though my mic is good at cancelling out background noise, I still would like for the PC to at least be a little quiet lol. My current PC makes quite the bit of noise even when it's idle or not under any heavy load, it's kind of just annoying.
  6. I'm REALLY  scared that I'll somehow start getting the PC freeze issue again. Especially since I don't really know what it's caused by!
  7. Do I have any items that could be replaced with a cheaper option that's just as good if not better?

1. With a big cooler like that, it's possible that it may cover one or two RAM slots.

2. Dark Base Pro 900 is a great case, you won't have any problems. If you want an alternative, I'd point you towards the Corsair Obsidian 750D.

3. Definitely.

4. Yes, the 8700K and 1080Ti is one of the best pairings you can get.

5. Watercooling will be way quieter, but the NH-D15 is a big enough cooler that it should stay pretty quiet most of the time.

6. That shouldn't be a concern.

7. All looks good, happy building and welcome to the forums!

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and decided to join because I really love LinusTechTips as a channel and after lurking for a bit,

I really like the atmosphere and community here. Everyone seems so helpful and knowledgeable!

Anyways, enough of the sappy introduction.

My current PC is a custom build I made a few years back after watching some build videos.

Specs for current PC:

• CASE- BitFenix Comrade Mid-Tower
  • GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX 950
  • CPU- AMD Vishera FX-6300 6 Core
  • MOBO- GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P
  • RAM- Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3
  • PSU- EVGA 500w 80+

Old PC's Bad Rep

At first I was fairly satisfied with it. This PC can play most games I enjoy at medium-high settings

with only some framerate drops. Games I normally play would be

League of Legends, Overwatch, Garry's Mod, Speedrunners, Skyrim, Payday 2 and PUBG.

More recently however I've become slowly less satisfied with performance. I'm starting to get into more demanding games

like BF1, Ark and Monster Hunter: World and it's becoming more apparent that my PC can't really keep up anymore.

Not only that, I've also had issues where my PC will randomly freeze completely while playing a game, forcing me to hard reset it.

This is starting to happen more and more often. I've tried a million different things to try and remedy this problem from updating bios to

checking all my drivers and even defragmenting. I've also tried reinstalling the games, reinstalling windows, rolling back graphics card driver updates as well as overclocking and underclocking.

This is something that happens randomly (mostly with games like PUBG and Monster Hunter: World, but it's also happened while playing Trine 2 which isn't even really demanding)

and I genuinely can't figure out what the source of the problem is. I've ruled it down to either be an overheating issue or my graphics card maybe starting to die.

Aside from all of the gaming stuff I'm also getting really into some beefy video editing including 80+ 4k clips;

needless to say my PC can barely handle 20 1080p clips without Vegas Pro giving me really laggy previews and horrible performance.

Not to mention this is also something that occasionally causes that dreaded freeze.

My solution for this is to build a new computer that's as beefy as I can possibly afford with little to no hardware compatibility problems and

HOPEFULLY

one that won't literally randomly freeze while playing games.

I'm aiming to build something that can handle heavy 4k video editing but also be able to run VR, 4k Gaming and all of the most demanding games on high settings with great FPS.

My budget is around $1800-$2100 USD

I want to have it sooner so the cheaper it is while being able to handle all of this, the sooner I'll be able to afford it.

I am however willing to wait a little longer to max out budget if those few hundred dollars really makes a difference performance wise.

Current theoretical build that I've made up on PCPartPicker

• CASE- Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
  • GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11gb FTW3
  • CPU- Intel Core i7-8700k 6 Core
  • MOBO- Asus ROG-Strix Z370-E
  • RAM- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb (2 x 16gb) DDR4
  • PSU- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 600w 80+ Titanium Certified
  • COOLING- Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM

My Concerns/Queries

1. I want some really great cooling in this system which is why I chose that case and cooler specifically, but I am aware of the fact that the Noctua NH-D15 is pretty massive so I'm worried that it may get in the way of the ram or have some other form of compatibility issue. I also don't like watercooling.
  2. I really like that case but i'm not 100% positive it's the best option. I only chose it because it's large and I wanted to be absolutely certain that I had enough space for the cooler. Because of this reason I was very scared of picking a mid size case. I don't want to spend my money and start installing things only to find out something doesn't fit right or that the parts are all cramped up and will cause heating issues. (My current PC is pretty cramped so I'm kinda done with that issue at this point..) Someone tell me of a case that can still fit everything, has good cable management, dust filters and great airflow? Please?
  5. I don't want the PC to be incredibly loud. My current PC is kinda loud already. Obviously I don't require complete silence but if I leave my computer on at night time I don't want to be listening to a deafening whiny fan noise coming from my PC that is actually LOUDER than my actual fan (Like my current PC). I also work from home taking customer service calls and even though my mic is good at cancelling out background noise, I still would like for the PC to at least be a little quiet lol. My current PC makes quite the bit of noise even when it's idle or not under any heavy load, it's kind of just annoying.
  6. I'm REALLY  scared that I'll somehow start getting the PC freeze issue again. Especially since I don't really know what it's caused by!
  7. Do I have any items that could be replaced with a cheaper option that's just as good if not better?

That's really about it.

Please give me some recommendations and lengthy replies, I'd love to hear everything and anything you guys have to say!

If you actually read this whole post, THANK YOU so much! It means a lot, truly.

Link to PCPartPicker Build

p.s. for what it's worth, if you think you may know why my current PC is having the whole freezing problem, please let me know. I'm really curious

Great choices on everything! i can only say this though, you're spending WAY too much on your case, RAM,  and on your power supply. By switching these out you can still get a top of the line case and tier 1 psu with optimal RAM while saving over $300. 

3 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

1. With a big cooler like that, it's possible that it may cover one or two RAM slots.

2. Dark Base Pro 900 is a great case, you won't have any problems. If you want an alternative, I'd point you towards the Corsair Obsidian 750D.

3. Definitely.

5. Watercooling will be way quieter, but the NH-D15 is a big enough cooler that it should stay pretty quiet most of the time.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

3. Definitely.

Thank you so much for your reply! Would you say the Corsair case would be able to properly fit all these parts with good airflow room?

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Make sure you get an SSD :)

For sure! I've picked out the Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SSD :)

1 minute ago, Xanthanite said:

Thank you so much for your reply! Would you say the Corsair case would be able to properly fit all these parts with good airflow room?

Oh definitely, the 750D will hold everything you could possibly need and still have room.

I agree with @OnyxArmos as well, get an SSD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Holy smokes you're going all out with this build!! Hahaha omg I'm jealous, I hope you like it

Truthfully, I just don't want to deal with another problem for a good long while lol. The whole freezing thing really turned me off!

Thank you though, I really appreciate your responses!

12 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

My budget is around $1800-$2100 USD

10 dollars over budget vs your $500 over budget lol. 

how is this for you?

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

I'm still pretty insistent on the 32gb ram because of the heavy video editing, music production and possible rendering I'll be doing but thank you so much for that case, storage and power supply recommendation, super helpful!

@XanthaniteYou can make it even cheaper by doing this like going to a simpler motherboard, a 500gb SSD, or looking for a cheaper case. I tried my best to stay around the look and needs of what you had posted. Good luck on this build!

6 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

I'm still pretty insistent on the 32gb ram because of the heavy video editing, music production and possible rendering I'll be doing but thank you so much for that case, storage and power supply recommendation, super helpful!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($159.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($166.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 DT GAMING Video Card  ($814.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.08 @ B&H) 
Total: $2165.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 12:18 EDT-0400

Replaced the PSU with something bigger, quieter, and cooler. Don't worry about the 550Watts by the way, it'll power your system plenty even with overclocking. 

Also upped back to the 32gb's of RAM 

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($159.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($166.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 DT GAMING Video Card  ($814.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.08 @ B&H) 
Total: $2165.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 12:18 EDT-0400

Replaced the PSU with something bigger, quieter, and cooler. Don't worry about the 550Watts by the way, it'll power your system plenty even with overclocking. 

Also upped back to the 32gb's of RAM  

P e r f e c t lol

7 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

P e r f e c t lol

The 8700k and 1080ti should be great for playing demanding games at 4k but you may not always be able to hit 60fps average at high settings. I mean assassins creed  odyssey is one such case. At very high settings the 2080ti struggles to hit 60fps average. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The 8700k and 1080ti should be great for playing demanding games at 4k but you may not always be able to hit 60fps average at high settings. I mean assassins creed  odyssey is one such case. At very high settings the 2080ti struggles to hit 60fps average. 

Oof, true lol. I'm just really into the visual appeal of games. I once HEAVILY modded my Skyrim and it looked absolutely stunning in every way possible but.. my current PC was barely hitting 20FPS. I also fear this may have been the kickstart to the freeze issue lol. I may have put the graphics card under a little too much stress. You're saying the 2080ti struggles to hit 60fps average on very high at 4k res? Or would it be struggling even at lower resolutions? (sorry if any of this doesn't really make sense; I'm still not incredibly familiar with what can and can't cause FPS drops and the exact implications that playing at higher resolutions would incur)

1 minute ago, Xanthanite said:

Oof, true lol. I'm just really into the visual appeal of games. I once HEAVILY modded my Skyrim and it looked absolutely stunning in every way possible but.. my current PC was barely hitting 20FPS. I also fear this may have been the kickstart to the freeze issue lol. I may have put the graphics card under a little too much stress. You're saying the 2080ti struggles to hit 60fps average on very high at 4k res? Or would it be struggling even at lower resolutions? (sorry if any of this doesn't really make sense; I'm still not incredibly familiar with what can and can't cause FPS drops and the exact implications that playing at higher resolutions would incur)

At 4k very high settings I get around 60 fps average but I have seen the average drop to 55. Granted the game looks absolutely gorgeous with 4k hdr at those settings. It drops into the 45ish fps more often that I would like but it's playable and with gsync isn't too much of an issue. Anyways it's probably the hardest game to run at 4k atm. 

TridentZ memory modules and the NH-D15 are not an optimal pairing. The cooler fan overhangs memory and in its normal mounting position has 32mm clearance for memory. Given the case, the fan could be raised to accommodate TridentZ modules but this will affect cooling a bit. The Dark Rock Pro 4 overhangs memory as well but has sufficient clearance for TridentZ modules. (I believe that the Dark Base 900 Pro rev 2 case can accommodate cpu coolers up to 180mm tall.)

Reviews and benchmarks for the i7-9700K and Z390 motherboards should be out next week. You may want to wait to see if this newer tech offres anything for your use case. If the budget will stretch, you might even consider the i9-9900K.

You might consider an RTX 2080 gpu simply because it is newer tech. Performance is slightly better than a GTX 1080 Ti. If budget is not so restricting, there is also the more powerful RTX 2080 Ti.

A fanless psu is not really a good option. Modern high-end psu ramp fan speeds based on need. Typically the fan does not even spin until there is a need for active cooling and then the speed adjusted to satisfy cooling needs.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($529.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($377.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8GB Dual Video Card  ($838.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Blackout TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.03 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.73 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2578.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 13:25 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.