laptop charger

LukeSavenije

Hello everone here on the forum,

I have a problem with my Acer Travelmate laptop (specs listed down below). Since a couple of days it hasn't been charging well. When I charge it for 6-10 hours, it will have like maybe 50% battery filled. With an hour maybe 5%. When charging the system is in hibrination mode. I've used two chargers from Liteon that came with the laptop as I got it second hand from a company. Is there anything I can do to let it charge at normal speeds again?

Check the charging port, maybe something is bent. If you're lucky it's just dirty and you can clean it out. 

try a different charger or turn it off completely when you charge maybe its doing some process draining it while charging or the charger is bad or the battery is old and dying 

Just now, Turretgaming said:

try a different charger or turn it off completely when you charge maybe its doing some process draining it while charging or the charger is bad or the battery is old and dying 

It's quite an old laptop already, but as said, i've tested it with two chargers with different ratings. but i'll try tonight

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Check the charging port, maybe something is bent. If you're lucky it's just dirty and you can clean it out. 

It looks fine to me, nothing bent and fully clean

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

It's quite an old laptop already, but as said, i've tested it with two chargers with different ratings. but i'll try tonight

It looks fine to me, nothing bent and fully clean

Have you checked your charger itself? I know you said you tried two of them, but just double check if the wire is plugged in fully with the adapter. I've had a charging problem before and I was getting frustrated, turned out it just wasn't fully plugged into the adapter lol. 

Just now, DVA said:

Have you checked your charger itself? I know you said you tried two of them, but just double check if the wire is plugged in fully with the adapter. I've had a charging problem before and I was getting frustrated, turned out it just wasn't fully plugged into the adapter lol. 

good point, but isn't the case here

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

It's quite an old laptop already

if you haven't replaced the batteries by now, then that's your issue. the batteries are useless. chances are pretty good that they are 18650 cells. you can find those on ebay all day long.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

batteryinfoview says it has a 63,2% battery health, is this good enough?

that's terrible.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

if you haven't replaced the batteries by now, then that's your issue. the batteries are useless.

that's terrible.

I know it isn't good to hold on to a battery that old, but it has been working fine for the last years, and before this weekend it did work for 4-5 hours on full battery. for a laptop from 2011 I think that's really good. What happend came out of nowhere

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I know it isn't good to hold on to a battery that old, but it has been working fine for the last years, and before this weekend it did work for 4-5 hours on full battery. for a laptop from 2011 I think that's really good. What happend came out of nowhere

Lithium batteries can be like that. you lose one, all hell breaks loose. then you're charing at a much higher current rating than it's Wh capacity is and you degrade them more... and more ...it's just a mess.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Lithium batteries can be like that. you lose one, all hell breaks loose. then you're charing at a much higher current rating than it's Wh capacity is and you degrade them more... and more ...it's just a mess.

the weird thing is that i'm using a charger that's exactally the rating, but it might just be that i have to change the battery. WIll take a look into that after i tried turning it off without hibrination. so you'll here more tomorrow or so

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the weird thing is that i'm using a charger that's exactally the rating, but it might just be that i have to change the battery. WIll take a look into that after i tried turning it off without hibrination. so you'll here more tomorrow or so

unless you know the chemistry that each charger is designed for, you have no idea what you're using or what it's doing. NiCad, Lithium Ion, LiPo, LiFePO4... they all use a different voltage per cell, and different current over time with different voltage over time charge rates.

just shoving XX volts at a battery pack and expecting it to charge to 100% is wishful thinking, and honestly pretty reckless.

System specs:

9 hours ago, knightslugger said:

just shoving XX volts at a battery pack and expecting it to charge to 100% is wishful thinking, and honestly pretty reckless. 

fully agree, but I'm expecting a buisness that they at least can choose the right charger with the laptop.