Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two different i7-7800x models

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

They're different steppings / revisions. U-0 is more recent than M-0.

The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 core step. As Intel makes functional fixes or manufacturing improvements, the core stepping letter and / or number is incremented. Minor changes result in an increased number (for example, A-3 to A-4), while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (for example, A-3 to B-0). B-0 core stepping is more recent than an A-4 core stepping. 

I was just looking at motherboards and according to asrock, there are two different i7-7800x's and in further investigation there does seem to be two different sku's, but beyond that, can't find anything. Is this just some wierd inventory thing on Intel's half or is there actual differences?

2 different i7 7800x's or 2 different motherboards for the i7 7800x. Also, please tell me you're not planning on getting one.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

10 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

2 different i7 7800x's or 2 different motherboards for the i7 7800x. Also, please tell me you're not planning on getting one.

You can see here what I mean https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299M Extreme4/index.us.asp#CPU

Also hell naw, I wouldn't poke an Intel system with a 10 foot pole, but a buddy of mine just wanted to see his options between a 2950x and what Intel had to offer to compete on micro atx. With Asrock being the only ones with MATX for either platform, I was checking to see if the boards even supported the big daddy 7980xe, and to my surprise it does (hell even their mini itx board does which is just a safety hazard). But I noticed there are two separate 7800x's listed

The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 core step. As Intel makes functional fixes or manufacturing improvements, the core stepping letter and / or number is incremented. Minor changes result in an increased number (for example, A-3 to A-4), while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (for example, A-3 to B-0). B-0 core stepping is more recent than an A-4 core stepping. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The more you know, well thank you.