External HDD vs Internal+Enclosure Combo

Abudis

I think the title is self-explanatory! 

I want to buy an external storage solution and I have this dilemma. Should I just buy an external HDD, or should I get an internal and house it in a nice enclosure? As far as cost is concerned, I have worked out that a Caviar Green, with a Raidsonic enclosure is even more expensive than a standard WD My Book (at a 2TB capacity). It's not an important differnce though, but just for mentioning it. And not only that, but the "My Book" has an extra year warranty than the Green.

What do you guys think?

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

I think a external HDD is better, since it is made to be moved a bit more, also the parts are better constructed together since the manufacturer doesn't need any compatibility for its inside.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think a external HDD is better, since it is made to be moved a bit more, also the parts are better constructed together since the manufacturer doesn't need any compatibility for its inside.

I like your thought, there is definetely some ground under it.

So, for an external 2TB HDD, with an on/off switch and of acclaimed quality, where should I look? Is this what I am looking for?

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

I like your thought, there is definetely some ground under it.

So, for an external 2TB HDD, with an on/off switch and of acclaimed quality, where should I look? Is this what I am looking for?

That one looks good, but it is quite a big one. What do you want in a external drive? I have a Samsung M3 1tb, which is really small and doesn't have an on/off switch, it is very durable (I have carried it around in my pocket, something which I don't recommend you do with HDD;s)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

That one looks good, but it is quite a big one. What do you want in a external drive? I have a Samsung M3 1tb, which is really small and doesn't have an on/off switch, it is very durable (I have carried it around in my pocket, something which I don't recommend you do with HDD;s)

I don't want it to be portable. It will just sit on my desk, and I will access my files from that drive. I want a 2TB because I have a few hundred GBs of files spread all over internal HDDs, another external I have, some USBs etc and I want to collect all that on a single drive and then keep back-ups of the important files on USBs, DVDs and the other external.

A portable solution though is planned for purchase.

I don't want it to be portable. It will just sit on my desk, and I will access my files from that drive. I want a 2TB because I have a few hundred GBs of files spread all over internal HDDs, another external I have, some USBs etc and I want to collect all that on a single drive and then keep back-ups of the important files on USBs, DVDs and the other external.

A portable solution though is planned for purchase.

Why not take a 4tb internal one?

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Why not take a 4tb internal one?

I think I like it better to have more drives of less capacity than only a large one, because I have more chances of saving data in case of drive failure. It's in my mind actually, but I prefer that level of security.

I think I like it better to have more drives of less capacity than only a large one, because I have more chances of saving data in case of drive failure. It's in my mind actually, but I prefer that level of security.

Understandable. and WD makes quality drives so I don't think you can go wrong with them, and as always search on the interwebs for any problems that people have with it

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server: