An off-the-wall question about an old PC

Was given an HP IQ770, and the CPU is socketable, it comes with a AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-52 / 1.6 GHz (31watt) 

Since HP made it sockeable, I assume it can be upgraded, but finding any info on that is practically nonexistent. Anyone have any experience upgrading an old system like this?

Longshot I know... 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Experience with upgrading older systems is troublesome at best. Due to a custom bios in these kind of PC's getting in a newer CPU is hit and miss.

And you cannot update the bios to allow newer CPU's most of the time.

This looks like a laptop with a big touchscreen so i'm guessing you are limited even more then with a PC.

3 hours ago, Dujith said:

Experience with upgrading older systems is troublesome at best. Due to a custom bios in these kind of PC's getting in a newer CPU is hit and miss.

And you cannot update the bios to allow newer CPU's most of the time.

This looks like a laptop with a big touchscreen so i'm guessing you are limited even more then with a PC.

Getting into the system, hardware-wise, is fairly easy. I can replace the CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, dvd-rom.

A BIOS update exists (from the current 5.02 to 5.15) but I cannot find documentation on what it "improves" if anything.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 5 years later...

Hey I know this thread is ancient. But I have an IQ770 as well.

In case you are still wondering 6 yrs on, the machine WILL turn on with another CPU but will show a message that it is not supported if any Turion above the 1.6ghz clockspeed is installed.